R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Key fob needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:17 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Key fob needed

OK,,, today I took out my spare Key Fob because I was too lazy to walk into the house to get my key - I have done this a few times since 2007 - Well That key is MIA? I have Not lost a car key in YEARS - Now that I have only one Mini key fob - I will be very careful

with that said - I really should get a spare but the info I am seeing is mind blowing to say the least? just goin to the dealer - NOT wanted...

So, if I find a fob from some other Mini - wrecked car or just on Ebay - assuming the fob is good - what does it take to program to MY Mini?

anyone have any suggestions? Most likely I wont ever need it and IF I do buy one, it will sit for ever OR I will find the MIA fob?

Old 05-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
This subject has been hashed out ad nauseum. MINI keys are programmed to the car's VIN. Contact your nearest dealership, scan and email or fax your DL and proof of ownership (registration) and they will let you know when to pick up your key.

PS: I lost a key many years ago. 2 or 3 days later I found it in a compartment in the fridge door next to the butter tray. Cross your fingers.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:24 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
This subject has been hashed out ad nauseum. MINI keys are programmed to the car's VIN. Contact your nearest dealership, scan and email or fax your DL and proof of ownership (registration) and they will let you know when to pick up your key.

PS: I lost a key many years ago. 2 or 3 days later I found it in a compartment in the fridge door next to the butter tray. Cross your fingers.

Sorry for the re-hash question, I was hoping New info might be out there.. are the prices pretty set in stone or is it worth shopping around on dealers?

Old 05-29-2017, 03:02 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by harley0711
Sorry for the re-hash question, I was hoping New info might be out there.. are the prices pretty set in stone or is it worth shopping around on dealers?
In my area, I can say that shopping around was helpful. I can save $70 by driving to the Chicago area rather than Indy for my R50.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:13 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
OK, here's a benchmark of dubious value. I replaced a R52 key Jan 26 of '15 at Baron BMW for $165.95 including tax.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:00 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
When I bought my used F56, the dealer only had one key. I went online and found that https://www.minipartsmass.com/ was the cheapest place at the time to get a key. You had to fax the required documents to them. 20% off list prices. You could probably show that to your local dealer and see if they price match.

Fortunately I pushed the salesman to dig a bit deeper at the dealership and he found the other key in the file so I was spared the expense.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:29 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
When I bought my used F56, the dealer only had one key. I went online and found that https://www.minipartsmass.com/ was the cheapest place at the time to get a key. You had to fax the required documents to them. 20% off list prices. You could probably show that to your local dealer and see if they price match.

Fortunately I pushed the salesman to dig a bit deeper at the dealership and he found the other key in the file so I was spared the expense.

Worked like a charm.... I will be making a Full forum post/up date tomorrow - after I contact the salesman - want to ask permission to post his name and contact info