R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 It Never Ends!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 02:58 PM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It Never Ends!

I started running Torque Pro today on my r56 cooper s. I noticed engine temp stays around 105-108 degrees C. This is far too hot, right??

Coolant system is working with no leaks.

I think the thermostat is not opening at the right temperature.

Can the thermostat be changed, or must the entire thermostat housing be replaced??

Old 05-31-2017, 03:17 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Normal I have seen when I had my Clubbie S was about 224f or 104.4C so you are a tad high but not much.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:15 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Our MINIs are designed to run hot to reduce emissions, your temperatures are normal.

If you turn on the Air Conditioning, you will see the coolant temperature come down as the Engine Control Unit compensates for the added load.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:23 PM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Good to know, thank you!

I've just read that the thermostat is actually controlled electronically, I presume based on data from the coolant temp sensor.

These are also a known weak part, I think? I may replace it just to make sure it's really reading the right temp.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:40 PM
pizzaman09
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Pressurized coolant can take a higher temperature than coolant in atmospheric conditions. This is why you can run a car cooling system above 100 deg C.

Just a tip that I learned the hard way, the temp sensors in at least the N18 engine is in the head. When coolant is lost due to a leak the sensor will see an air bubble that may not actually represent the engine temp. I over heated the first engine in my car to the point of full destruction without ever receiving a warning that it was over heating or low on coolant. It drove perfectly fine and normal with no warnings until the valves seized and crashed into the pistons. The point that things started to seize, the car went into a limp mode that lasted long enough for me to pull off the highway before the engine stalled.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:17 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
That's why I installed a water temp gauge.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:57 AM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pizzaman09
Pressurized coolant can take a higher temperature than coolant in atmospheric conditions. This is why you can run a car cooling system above 100 deg C.

Just a tip that I learned the hard way, the temp sensors in at least the N18 engine is in the head. When coolant is lost due to a leak the sensor will see an air bubble that may not actually represent the engine temp. I over heated the first engine in my car to the point of full destruction without ever receiving a warning that it was over heating or low on coolant. It drove perfectly fine and normal with no warnings until the valves seized and crashed into the pistons. The point that things started to seize, the car went into a limp mode that lasted long enough for me to pull off the highway before the engine stalled.
You are not alone, mate. I had a Laguna where the coolant suddenly all fell out on the road within a matter of minutes. Temperature gauge read just fine! There was nothing for it to measure. Engine started to sound a bit odd then within moments it stalled. Never the same again.

I was on a motorway in the middle of Wales, here in the UK. That's like deep nowhere.

Why don't they fit coolant flow sensors?