R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Girl Power! JCW carbon fiber bonnet scoop installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Clare Din
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girl Power! JCW carbon fiber bonnet scoop installed!

I installed it today. Unfortunately, one of the clips (the one on the bottom closest to the MINI logo) broke off on my original scoop. It took a little bit of hell to remove it. I used a little hex wrench tool after trying to pry it off with a flathead screwdriver (dumb idea).

Okay, nobody told me that I had to move the clips from the original scoop to the new one. That wasn't in any of the videos. Also, the screw holding the original scoop on my 2013 R56 was a phillips head, not a Torx 20 or 25 like I've seen in YouTube vids.

The grill on my original scoop doesn't exactly fit on my new scoop. I tightened the screws as best I could. The original screw wouldn't go back in. It looks like the screw thread on the new scoop fits a wider diameter screw so I put my own screw in in place of the original. It was a little longer than the original screw so I added some washers to keep it secure.

Anyway, here it is. My original scoop was chili red. I like this one more because it looks better with the black stripes. Not bad for someone like me who isn't very handy!

Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 AM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Din
I installed it today. Unfortunately, one of the clips (the one on the bottom closest to the MINI logo) broke off on my original scoop. It took a little bit of hell to remove it. I used a little hex wrench tool after trying to pry it off with a flathead screwdriver (dumb idea).

Okay, nobody told me that I had to move the clips from the original scoop to the new one. That wasn't in any of the videos. Also, the screw holding the original scoop on my 2013 R56 was a phillips head, not a Torx 20 or 25 like I've seen in YouTube vids.

The grill on my original scoop doesn't exactly fit on my new scoop. I tightened the screws as best I could. The original screw wouldn't go back in. It looks like the screw thread on the new scoop fits a wider diameter screw so I put my own screw in in place of the original. It was a little longer than the original screw so I added some washers to keep it secure.

Anyway, here it is. My original scoop was chili red. I like this one more because it looks better with the black stripes. Not bad for someone like me who isn't very handy!

Looks Good! Makes your JCW go that much faster. At least that's what I tell Myself!

Old 06-11-2017, 11:13 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good job! You can probably buy clips online if needed later.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Looks great, Congrats

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 06-11-2017, 06:38 PM
pizzaman09
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice!
Sometimes I find fixing parts on my car just doesn't go as expected, it sounds like you had one of those times.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:54 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Sweet that really does go well with the stripes.

Owning a Mini makes you handy, it's one of the side beifits.