R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil Flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:01 AM
wojtekk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Flush

I’ve never had any issues with my 2012 mini cooper S. Iserviced it regularly and forced the dealer to do oil changes more frequently than required. I had always had issues reading the dipstick as I found the oil to be so clean it was nearly impossible

A few months back I noticed the engine being a little louder than usual. I took it to a mechanic a few mini friends recommended. They found that the timing chain tensioner broke. I got the chain replaced (along with the brakes) and all seemed well.

Last week I noticed a couple of drops of oil on the garage floor, underneath I could see oil sweat all over the oil pan. I took it back to mechanic and he informed me the seal needed replacing. I did that yesterday.When I got home I checked the oil level and found it not only really dark, but on the high end of the scale. I checked it again this morning on a cold engine and the same result

I’m not sure if the mechanic refilled it with poor oil or overfilled it. I assumed with an oil pan seal a new oil change would be required. The mechanic has been real good to deal with

Anyway, to avoid another long trip to the mechanic, is there any value in just flushing out the oil and replacing it with new (without changing the filter) or should I get the oil and filter changed anyway since it is due in 2 months. Any recommendations for oil? Should I just follow the manual for quantity?

Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Oil is going to get dark as it is picking up carbon from the compression cycle. Yes synthetic oil is suppose to keep the engine cleaner and the buildup is less, hence ii stays "cleaner looking" longer.

Yes, you can drain engine from a car and reuse it. On the invoice from the mechanic was there a charge for "oil". When you say it is on the high side, is the oil within the limits on the dip stick? If yes then there should not be an issue.

If you are really concerned, then change the oil and be done with it.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:06 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Never hurts to do another oil change and yes I would always change the filter when you change the oil. You can find oem filters for ~$12 per filter online or MANN is a good alternative. I used to use Mobil 1 European formula 0W-40, 5 qt bottles are about $25 at walmart. Now they changed the formula and doesn't have BMW LL01 certification, but alot of people are continuing to use it. If you change the oil more often than 10k then you should be fine without the LL01 anyways. The 08 MCS with N14 took about 4.4 qt oil so I'd expect the N18 to be the same

Old 07-04-2017, 11:07 AM
seandallen
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Purflux makes the OEM filter. The part# is L358A, and it's usually cheaper than the MINI branded one. Pelican Parts sells it in a kit with the crush washer, but you can get a bag of the 25 washers on Amazon for $2.50, if you want go that route. For sure, change your filter every time with the oil, as well as the plug washer.

Mobil1 doesn't have the LL-01 certification. MINI recommends Castrol (if you're not using their "branded" oil), and I use Castrol 0W-40, European formula. I hear good things about Liqui-Moly, too, but I don't have any experience with it.

Good luck.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
I have used the 0-40 Mobile 1 in the past with no issues. They just did not meet the 15K LL-01 requirement this time so it did not get the certification, I believe they met the ~ 11K from internal sources, but it was not rated for 15K. But we all know people on here change it much sooner.

We have the purflux here now:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...you-use-6.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172