R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Wiring up marshal temp guage.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wiring up marshal temp guage.

I'm going to be installing the marshal temp guage and I have a few questions. When doing the wiring connector 4 pin 1 is always hot, pin 3 in ground, pin 5 is 12v when ignition is on and pin 4 in 12v when connected to the dash light wiring. Can i just wire pin 4 and 5 to the same spot? Also when the back light for the guage is wired into the dash light wiring will the guage dim properly when the dash lights are dimmed? I'm not a huge fan of electrical, thanks.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:24 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The Marshal gage lights are led lamps and will not dim when spliced into the MINIs dash lights, they are either on or off, but they do come on when the headlight switch is turned on. The dash lighting circuit voltage varies with the dash light dimmer switch position.

For that reason you should wire the gages as per instructions, if you wire the gage power to the dimmer, the gage will read erratically, depending on the dash light brightness or if you wire the gage power and the gage lights to constant twelve volts, the gage lights will be on all the time.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
The Marshal gage lights are led lamps and will not dim when spliced into the MINIs dash lights, they are either on or off, but they do come on when the headlight switch is turned on. The dash lighting circuit voltage varies with the dash light dimmer switch position.

For that reason you should wire the gages as per instructions, if you wire the gage power to the dimmer, the gage will read erratically, depending on the dash light brightness or if you wire the gage power and the gage lights to constant twelve volts, the gage lights will be on all the time.
Ok, I'll just wire the 12v with ignition desperate from the wire that is for the back lighting on the guage. I downloaded a pdf that tells me what wire exactly to tap into. On that pdf it says for stepper guage only connect purple wire (which is pin 1) to a 12v constant. What is a stepper guage?

Old 07-01-2017, 02:19 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
A stepper motor gauge is a type of gauge that uses a stepper motor to move the gauge needle. A stepper motor moves the gauge needle in discrete mechanical movements.

I don't think Marshal gauges use a stepper motor movement, they use a d'arsonval meter movement, which is a moving coil DC movement, they move the needle smoothly.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
So I shouldn't need to wire in a 12v constant then?

Old 07-01-2017, 03:57 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Verify whether or not the gauges have a stepper movement or not and wire them as the instruction say.

My Marshal gauges don't have stepper movements, but the newer ones might have it.

I installed mine almost ten years ago.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:52 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Ok, cravenspeed website doesn't say anything about it being a stepper movement nor does it say in the instructions. But marshals website does say that the temp guage is a stepper movement. So constant 12v will need to be wired.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
The Marshall temp gauge I have is a stepper motor. You need an adapter to connect to the dash lighting circuit, there's a thread here with the details.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-dummies.html