R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Average cost to rebuild N14 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 PM
sharmadaven
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Average cost to rebuild N14 engine?

So to make a long story short I skipped a step on reinstalling the timing chain (which I've done before) and next thing you know when I started it realized that it was not timed correctly so to put it shortly the engine doesn't run and needs to be replaced. I'm currently the opposite of Bill Gates (college student) and rely on this car a lot! I've done all the repairs to it myself and never had a problem until now. Question for you guys. What is the cost to rebuild one of these suckers? I've seen rebuild kits that come with CP pistons, head gasket, head bolts, etc for about 1300- 1500. This kit does not come with rods. (Do the rods need to be replaced? not going to increase hp). Obviously, the head will be machined and the block will be honed then I'll have a buddy of mine fly over to help reassemble it. What other cost will I occur? anyone out there done this before? Is it cheaper to go with a rebuilt one for $4000.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2017, 01:12 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by sharmadaven
So to make a long story short I skipped a step on reinstalling the timing chain (which I've done before) and next thing you know when I started it realized that it was not timed correctly so to put it shortly the engine doesn't run and needs to be replaced. I'm currently the opposite of Bill Gates (college student) and rely on this car a lot! I've done all the repairs to it myself and never had a problem until now. Question for you guys. What is the cost to rebuild one of these suckers? I've seen rebuild kits that come with CP pistons, head gasket, head bolts, etc for about 1300- 1500. This kit does not come with rods. (Do the rods need to be replaced? not going to increase hp). Obviously, the head will be machined and the block will be honed then I'll have a buddy of mine fly over to help reassemble it. What other cost will I occur? anyone out there done this before? Is it cheaper to go with a rebuilt one for $4000.

Thanks
Have you inspected the pistons for damage? Obviously replace those with any damage. With a tight budget, let the severity of damage decide whether or not to replace rods too. With an N14, there's probably a lot of miles on it and just a honing wont be enough to prevent oil burning. I did a hone on my first rebuild at about 80K --- not good enough! With damaged pistons go for a rebore and oversized pistons. No damage --- leave it alone and just do the head.

Doing your own labor should keep the cost well below 4K, even with machine shop work. Rods are pricey and will add a bunch if replaced. First order of business is teardown and inspect --- can't price it out 'til you know what needs fixing.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:51 PM
sharmadaven
2nd Gear
Thanks for the reply. I had a leak down test that showed 90 percent leak. So looks like oversized pistons are the way to go. I'll start a tear down soon and get back to you! Thanks

Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
there is something missing here! when you mis timed the engine, the worse thing that could happen is bent valves.
with %90 leakage on the piston, it depends on the damage. either way you will be removing the head. once you see the damage, it will be easier to execute the plan.

I did a rebuild for a fellow NAM that included a used block, used crankshaft, new crank and rod bearings, one used piston, new 4 sets of rings, new set of valves, vac pump, timing chain kit, for about 2800 installed.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
check out lohen.co.uk they have pretty good deal's on create motor's!!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:40 PM
sharmadaven
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
there is something missing here! when you mis timed the engine, the worse thing that could happen is bent valves.
with %90 leakage on the piston, it depends on the damage. either way you will be removing the head. once you see the damage, it will be easier to execute the plan.

I did a rebuild for a fellow NAM that included a used block, used crankshaft, new crank and rod bearings, one used piston, new 4 sets of rings, new set of valves, vac pump, timing chain kit, for about 2800 installed.

thanks for the reply. Is it possible that the bent valves are showing the 90 percent leak and the pistons are fine? I'm currently in the process of removing the head however right before I started I shoved a camera through the spark plug hole and only saw some scratch marks from the valves. Maybe the pistons are ok?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 215 Likes on 152 Posts
It doesn't take much to bend a valve. Not even a degree off and it will leak like a sieve. When doing your leak down test listen for the leak. Intake, exhaust, oil filler, etc.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This January my 135009 mile 2007 MCS had piston #3 bottom ring land crack off. I tore it all the way down and totally rebuilt with head and new CP pistons. Including all costs and shop and a new clutch I rang up $3500