R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sizing of Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:49 PM
DeathDream
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sizing of Speedometer

I am planning on modifying my speedometer, but as I am away for a few weeks more and I do not have my car in front of me, I was wondering if someone could measure the radius of the main cluster speedometer dial (preferably in cm+mm). I would like this as accurate as possible as I need the radius to create a proper face cutout.

Thanks!
MS

Old 09-13-2017, 08:08 AM
DeathDream
1st Gear
Sorry, I am new here, but does no one have a ruler lying around that could measure their center speedo? It should only take a few seconds...

Old 09-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Can't help you with the measurements but maybe can help you get answers to future questions. These are just suggestions. Not meant to be snarky or mean spirited in any way. Please don't take them that way.

1. It's always nice to frame your first post to any forum as an introduction rather than a request for otherwise nice but busy individuals to do you a favor. There is a thread for introductions it's called 1st Gear. We like pictures, too.

2. Since you posted in the R56 2007+ forum, the only thing anyone can know about you or your car is that you have a R56 that's a 2007+. It's helpful to have the year, make, model or your car in you signature. What speedo/nav/audio package you have might be good info to include as well. Though I don't know if that matters for radius of the speedo. They might all be the same. If people don't have to respond to your question with another question before they can try to help you, they be more inclined to do you a favor.

3. Be patient.

Just trying to help. And I'll be following because I'm curious to see how it comes out.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:50 PM
DeathDream
1st Gear
Sorry, did not mean to come off like that. I haven't done a 1st gear post since I am currently away from my MINI for another 7 days, and I don't have any photos of it with me :(

I have a 2011 R56 Cooper S with Boost Radio, but the radio equipped shouldn't matter, im just looking for the radius from the center of the speedo to the inside edge of the outer ring (basically the size of the paper cutout inside the speedo).

Thanks for the help!

Edit: added sig. but I guess it won't show till next post

Last edited by DeathDream; 09-13-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:15 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathDream
I would like this as accurate as possible as I need the radius to create a proper face cutout.
The actual gauge face cutout extends past the trim ring and requires taking the speedo apart for measurements. But seriously, why can't you wait 7 days to examine it on your own car?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:22 PM
DeathDream
1st Gear
Didn't realize it went past, I just need the measurement until it hits the wall. Basically, what's visible to us.

As for why I would like it now, I'm trying to figure out what the max size lcd I can fit in it while being visible is (not get corners cut off the display) and ordering an lcd from China has long shipment times; so I was hoping to get that down as much as possible. Also, I have the engineer heevy jeevies and want to model stuff out.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:55 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I can understand the need to scratch that design itch.

I measured 95mm on my 2012 R56S with the same radio. +/- 2 based on whether I had the center lined up exactly and how I squinted at it.

Post some pics of whatever you come up with!

Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 PM
DeathDream
1st Gear
Thank you very much! Off to the CAD I go!

Will keep posted.