R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Another sunroof problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Another sunroof problem

I know the sunroof issue has been discussed countless of times here and I have read a handful of post about it but I did not find what I was looking for which is how to know if your motor is weak or about to fail?

Yesterday my sunroof did not want to open by itself so I used my thumb to push up while holding the open switch and it did open (I was inside my garage and it is around 17 degrees C so heat is not an issue). I opened and closed it 2x with the help of my thumb during opening and closing) and on the third attempt it stopped a few inches before it closes and I have to push again the switch to get it going. I went to BMW and bought this grease:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/83192157321/

I cleaned up all the gunk on the tracks and applied it (I used half of it only). It did help and I noticed the sunroof is sliding better than before. The problem right now is when the sunroof is closed it is having a hard time opening like it will move a few millimeters then will stop. Sometimes it will open but you will see that it is having a hard time. So I think it is the motor going out but I am not sure as I do not want to buy the $400 motor and find out it is not the problem. Any help will be great.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:54 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Pop the sunroof motor out and see if it moves fast. Also I would clean out the rails again, they can have huge build ups. WD40 and a towel will help clean it also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 AM
MINI8
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem with mine, then one day, it was 60º in the middle of winter, I opened it with a bit of difficulty, and later it would not close.
I took it to the dealer a few days later, hoping they could close it and leave it like that, but they said they couldn't. Most dealers wanted $4,000 to replace the motor and cassette, but one did it for $2,600.
Sadly, our cars are built with cheap parts. BMW should be ashamed to sell such a crappy product. I have owned many cars with an electric sunroof, and never had a problem with one.
It's my second Mini. I owned an R53 before my R56, and I will never buy another one, unless Toyota builds it. Toyotas are simply the most reliable cars on earth.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Pop the sunroof motor out and see if it moves fast. Also I would clean out the rails again, they can have huge build ups. WD40 and a towel will help clean it also.
How do you clean the track on the back side if the glass only moves up and down? Do I need to remove both glass then. Also when you say if it moves fast how will I know if fast is fast? I glass itself moves fine when it is done popping up.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI8
I had the same problem with mine, then one day, it was 60º in the middle of winter, I opened it with a bit of difficulty, and later it would not close.
I took it to the dealer a few days later, hoping they could close it and leave it like that, but they said they couldn't. Most dealers wanted $4,000 to replace the motor and cassette, but one did it for $2,600.
Sadly, our cars are built with cheap parts. BMW should be ashamed to sell such a crappy product. I have owned many cars with an electric sunroof, and never had a problem with one.
It's my second Mini. I owned an R53 before my R56, and I will never buy another one, unless Toyota builds it. Toyotas are simply the most reliable cars on earth.
What is the Cassette? is that the frame itself?

Old 09-18-2017, 05:40 PM
MINI8
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it is.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:42 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
There is a SIM that describes how to adjust the angle of the glass within a few MM. Even the brand new replacement assemblies suffer from this. Lube helps, but they will always get stuck on a hot day unless they Are perfectly clean. Read through the SIM in sticky thread of gen2 forum- simple hand tools is all it takes. Mine hasn't stuck since that was done.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by R56devotion
There is a SIM that describes how to adjust the angle of the glass within a few MM. Even the brand new replacement assemblies suffer from this. Lube helps, but they will always get stuck on a hot day unless they Are perfectly clean. Read through the SIM in sticky thread of gen2 forum- simple hand tools is all it takes. Mine hasn't stuck since that was done.
Thanks will do.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Old 09-21-2017, 03:58 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
So I took another take on cleaning the sunroof guide with lots of WD40/rag and used an air compressor to remove some more junk at the hard to reach corners and reapplied the BMW sunroof lubricant again. I think the extra deep cleaning helped as now it is not having a hard time going up and have a silky smooth operation. I am just wondering if the BMW sunroof lubricant and the $140 Mercedes-benz sunroof lubricant (you can buy it only in a big container) are the same or if one is better than the other. I am tempted to use the BMW lubricant to my MB sunroofs but I do not know if it will work well. What do you guys think? The thing I like with the BMW lubricant is that it is on a small pack that I would say 1 pack can lubricate 2 cars whereas the MB tub is all open and you never know if from X amount of years it will be stored at the garage shelf it might degrade and be useless not like the BMW packs I can just run to the BMW dealer and pay $7 each when I need it.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
You can use the BMW/ MINI stuff its pretty much the same, most of the time they all use webasto tops and cables. The packs are easier to use. The WD40 acts as a good cleaner to clean the old grease out also.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-Cooper-R52-S-Convertible-L4_1.6L_W11B16A/Search/SiteSearch/83192157321/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Originally Posted by R56devotion
Can someone post a link to this information? Can't seem to locate the referenced information....

Old 12-03-2017, 12:56 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Can someone post a link to this information? Can't seem to locate the referenced information....
Should be here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-database.html

Not been on this board in a while.
Art

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:31 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotart
Should be here: