R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 High flow cat downpipe installed in NY or CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018 | 03:23 PM
dbrescia
|
1st Gear
High flow cat downpipe installed in NY or CA

hi everyone, I live in New York State and would like to install a high flow catted downpipe. With the stricter inspection emission laws in NY and CA I’m looking for anyone who has replaced their stock setup and it clears the NY inspection

Old 03-11-2018 | 09:43 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dbrescia
hi everyone, I live in New York State and would like to install a high flow catted downpipe. With the stricter inspection emission laws in NY and CA I’m looking for anyone who has replaced their stock setup and it clears the NY inspection
The catless DP will cause a the Post-O2 sensor to read the same temp and readings as the Pre-O2 sensor and trigger a CEL and this will not pass the the NYS inspection. If you’re going catless then you should switch to 1 step colder plugs and an updated intercooler. This will help with overall health and performance of the car as well get you ready for a Stage 2 Tune

Tuning the car (Manic, Bytronik...etc) will suppresses the CEL and put it in a pseudo-permanent “NOT READY” state.

There are ways to pass the inspection but these methods don’t work for everyone.

Manic with SPS switch - a few miles from the inspection site set your tune to “Stock Mode” and drive to the inspection site given enough time for the system to go into ready before the CEL comes back. This is all in the “timing it right” scenario. Running a Spacer on the Post Cat O2 sensor Is the same, just a bit more delayed and can trigger a “Low Flow” error

Manic with SPS switch And Adding a Mini Cat Bung - These are hit or miss with some people. If done properly it can work to pass inspection. Adding the Mini Cat Bung and setting the tune to “Stock Mode” and driving for a couple of miles to set the reading will help when getting inspected. THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT FIX. This will only work for about 30-50 miles before failing and triggering the CEL again. Running a Spacer on the Post Cat O2 sensor Is the same, just a bit more delayed and can trigger a “Low Flow” error Same as above.

“Low Flow” can trigger the Mini’s “Limp Mode” but will not hurt the car. This is just the car trying to protect itself. The car will still handle fine

No Tune required and This method will always work. Keep your OEM Catted DP and swap it before getting inspected. If you don’t mind the CEL always being on. This method is a pain but it’s foolproof.

Hope this sums it up for you.

Ronin-nyMINIons
Instagram NYMINIONS

Old 03-11-2018 | 10:08 AM
dbrescia
|
1st Gear
Options

Thanks for the options, I was hoping for a simple solution but to keep it simple I think I’ll stick with the factory cat and just replace the exhaust. I don’t really want CEL on all the time or have to swap tunes. Mine is still completely stock as of now.
I was hoping a 100 or200 cell cat might work. I’ve herd of the O2 spacers too.
Thanks for your help

Old 03-11-2018 | 10:35 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Thanks for the options, I was hoping for a simple solution but to keep it simple I think I’ll stick with the factory cat and just replace the exhaust. I don’t really want CEL on all the time or have to swap tunes. Mine is still completely stock as of now.
I was hoping a 100 or200 cell cat might work. I’ve herd of the O2 spacers too.
Thanks for your help
The SPS switch is a Tune selector. It has a dial which allows you to select which Map you want to run and it plugs right into your OBD2 port.
http://www.manicmotorsport.com/R-SERIES

Nope the 100/200 cell cats will also trigger the CEL, but the 200 cell with the Mini Cat Bung might be a sweet spot, but it’s all theoretical and I personally haven’t tested

Old 03-14-2018 | 07:29 AM
dbrescia
|
1st Gear
200 cell

I might try the 200 cell and add the spacer for the sensor. Kinda hate to spend the money if it doesn’t work and the CEL still comes on or if it doesn’t pass emissions. Thanks for your help

Old 03-14-2018 | 09:20 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Old 03-15-2018 | 06:16 PM
countrymanwot
1st Gear
I ran a Miltek 200 cell and tried to get it to not throw a code with a catted spacer which didn't work because it threw a different code but still a code and I also tried a spacer. Neither worked and I still had a stock one and threw it on and waited for the car to be ready to pass and passed it then threw the Miltek back on. I live in CT and ours isn't to light on inspection either. Hope it helps

Old 03-16-2018 | 05:22 AM
dbrescia
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by countrymanwot
I ran a Miltek 200 cell and tried to get it to not throw a code with a catted spacer which didn't work because it threw a different code but still a code and I also tried a spacer. Neither worked and I still had a stock one and threw it on and waited for the car to be ready to pass and passed it then threw the Miltek back on. I live in CT and ours isn't to light on inspection either. Hope it helps
thanks. Definitely helps. Sounds like I’m staying stock with the downpipe.

Old 03-16-2018 | 05:29 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
I live in NY, have a catless downpipe and a Manic tune. I pass inspection no problem and can leave it on a Manic map. NYS allows one monitor not ready as long as there's no CEL.

High flow catted downpipes aren't worth it imo. They still throw a CEL and still restrict flow.

Old 03-16-2018 | 10:43 AM
dbrescia
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
I live in NY, have a catless downpipe and a Manic tune. I pass inspection no problem and can leave it on a Manic map. NYS allows one monitor not ready as long as there's no CEL.

High flow catted downpipes aren't worth it imo. They still throw a CEL and still restrict flow.

ok so using the catless downpipe doesn't cause the CEL to come on but a high flow cat will? Crazy!!

Do you keep both sensors hooked up or plug one?
Do you need any spacers?

Old 03-16-2018 | 01:04 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member

ok so using the catless downpipe doesn't cause the CEL to come on but a high flow cat will? Crazy!!

Do you keep both sensors hooked up or plug one?
Do you need any spacers?
Its the Manic tune that prevents the CEL with the catless downpipe. Even with a high flow downpipe, the Manic tune will prevent a CEL.

Old 03-16-2018 | 03:17 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Its the Manic tune that prevents the CEL with the catless downpipe. Even with a high flow downpipe, the Manic tune will prevent a CEL.
This. If you're tuning to get rid of the CEL anyway, might as well go catless and get the most gains. You don't have to do Stage 2 either, all Manic tunes cancel out CELs for O2 sensors.

Old 03-17-2018 | 08:55 AM
cornjuice
Banned
yeah.. uh, you wont pass inspection if the monitors are turned "off" .. so not every tune will get you both:

*monitors on for cat
*no CEL light

Talk with your tuner first and make 100% certain, they can do both. If not, the DP wont matter much as even OEM will fail you if the monitors are off. They need to be seen in a "ready" state to pass inspections at a smog station.

*Ive heard folks blew flames out and roasted the sniffer.. but all ECU monitors were 'ready' and passed smog without issue. <- thats what youre looking for

Old 03-17-2018 | 09:35 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
yeah.. uh, you wont pass inspection if the monitors are turned "off" .. so not every tune will get you both:

*monitors on for cat
*no CEL light

Talk with your tuner first and make 100% certain, they can do both. If not, the DP wont matter much as even OEM will fail you if the monitors are off. They need to be seen in a "ready" state to pass inspections at a smog station.

*Ive heard folks blew flames out and roasted the sniffer.. but all ECU monitors were 'ready' and passed smog without issue. <- thats what youre looking for
OP is in NY, all smog testing is NY is done via OBD2, and they allow one monitor not ready as long as there's no CEL. Manic tune will achieve this.

Old 04-07-2021 | 05:58 AM
Lt Mao
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
OP is in NY, all smog testing is NY is done via OBD2, and they allow one monitor not ready as long as there's no CEL. Manic tune will achieve this.
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this is the most relevant one.

I have a 200 cell sport cat with a J bend o2 spacer. I have been tweaking the spacer angle to find a the sweet spot where it doesn't throw a CEL and I think I've found that. However, I am pulling a *pending* P0136 (#2 o2 sensor) that never goes away, but also never matures to throw a CEL.

So as of right now, I have no CEL and all monitors are in ready state, so I am not going to clear the pending code. Does anyone know if the car will pass NY emissions test with the pending P0136?

Old 04-07-2021 | 06:37 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
I believe if there are no permanent codes you'll pass. I have passed two years in a row in my car. First year was Manic stage 2. This year, I had Prototype-R stage 2 with OBD Readiness+.

Looks like you are in Rochester? Look up The Little Speed Shop - https://www.thelittlespeedshop.com/ They are my go to for state inspections.

Old 04-07-2021 | 06:55 AM
Lt Mao
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
I believe if there are no permanent codes you'll pass. I have passed two years in a row in my car. First year was Manic stage 2. This year, I had Prototype-R stage 2 with OBD Readiness+.

Looks like you are in Rochester? Look up The Little Speed Shop - https://www.thelittlespeedshop.com/ They are my go to for state inspections.
Yup I'm in Roc, and I'm familiar with The Little Speed Shop. I just bought this JCW last month and need to get it inspected. It's still got a blue 2021 sticker but it was due in Jan. I'll talk to the guys at LSS.

I know that I can get the CEL coded out with tuning, but I've got some preventative maintenance to do before that. What do you think about Prototype R? I found a guy down near Elmira who does Dervtech tuning, I'm considering that.

Old 04-07-2021 | 09:16 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Lt Mao
Yup I'm in Roc, and I'm familiar with The Little Speed Shop. I just bought this JCW last month and need to get it inspected. It's still got a blue 2021 sticker but it was due in Jan. I'll talk to the guys at LSS.

I know that I can get the CEL coded out with tuning, but I've got some preventative maintenance to do before that. What do you think about Prototype R? I found a guy down near Elmira who does Dervtech tuning, I'm considering that.
@Lou@Prototype-R is a great guy to deal with. VERY knowledgeable on the tuning side. I had some issues on the Manic tune, and Lou has been able to fix all of them.

Old 04-10-2021 | 07:44 PM
Lt Mao
1st Gear
Update: I got the car to pass NY inspection with the sport cat installed.

I have a Racing Dynamics 200 cell downpipe with a "VMS J Style O2 Sensor Restrictor" that you can find on ebay. After some trial and error this is what I found works to not throw CEL and pass NY state emissions with a hi flow catted downpipe installed.

-I did NOT using any of the restrictor inserts that come with the J spacer.
-The spacer is angled upward against the exhaust flow, so the o2 sensor is pointing almost straight down.
-Using the Torque app or similar to monitor things, I drove about 3-4 heat cycles to get all the emissions tests in a ready state. However, NY allows you to have one test in a not ready state, which in my case was the catalyst test.
-The gas tank should be between 1/4 and 3/4 full to get the evap test to pass.
-There is P0136 code that will show pending but may or may not confirm. If you get a P0141 along with the P0136, then that will throw a CEL.
-The car WILL pass OBD2 test even with the P0136 pending or confirmed as long as the CEL is not on.

Of course you may have different results on your own car. Yes, I know a tune can just code this out, but it's not in the budget for this year and I just needed to get the car to pass.

Old 04-11-2021 | 03:38 AM
Yoshimura 1
5th Gear
That seems pretty good a different angle on helping the car pass emission testing.