R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Emergency brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:57 AM
The M People
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency brake

Hello,
Just one quick question.
Is the 2012 R56 emergency brake use the same brake pad for the rear brake ?
Mine is due for the rear brake replacement.
Thanks ahead for your help.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:21 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by The M People
Hello,
Just one quick question.
Is the 2012 R56 emergency brake use the same brake pad for the rear brake ?
Mine is due for the rear brake replacement.
Thanks ahead for your help.
There is only one set of pads on each corner. The parking brake is internal and you will need a tool to compress the rear calipers while turning the piston. The fronts are really easy and you can compress them with a c clamp, big channel locks or whatever you’ve got laying around. Also no need to replace the brake pad sensor if it’s undamaged. You just pry it out of the pad with a screwdriver.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:04 PM
The M People
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCooper_S

There is only one set of pads on each corner. The parking brake is internal and you will need a tool to compress the rear calipers while turning the piston. The fronts are really easy and you can compress them with a c clamp, big channel locks or whatever you’ve got laying around. Also no need to replace the brake pad sensor if it’s undamaged. You just pry it out of the pad with a screwdriver.
First off, thanks for your reply.
So, the emergency brake use the same rear brake pad to engage the parking brake ? That means when I replace the rear brake pad, it is essentially replacing the parking brake ?

Just got this warning light , a red circle with the exclamation mark, Mini on the hoist and the code CC-ID 071. Google search comes up brake wear sensor. Am I right ?

Attached Thumbnails Emergency brake-20180402_163847_resized.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
You got me there but this is a good video showing you how to replace the pads.

and here are some instructions for resetting service indicators

https://new.minimania.com/Oil_Servic...nd_Newer_MINIs

it’s a little finicky so if you don’t get it on your first try just start over.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:06 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by The M People
First off, thanks for your reply.
So, the emergency brake use the same rear brake pad to engage the parking brake ? That means when I replace the rear brake pad, it is essentially replacing the parking brake ?

Just got this warning light , a red circle with the exclamation mark, Mini on the hoist and the code CC-ID 071. Google search comes up brake wear sensor. Am I right ?
I realize I didn’t answer your questions.

Yes your mini uses the same brake pad for regular braking and the parking brake. There is a mechanism in the caliper that adds mechanical pressure when the parking brake is engaged.

No it is technically not the same as replacing the whole parking brake assembly (cables, pivot arm, caliper and retaining but) but that doesn’t seem to be your issue.

A warning light for brakes is either to do with a scheduled maintenance or a wear sensor indicating low pads.
Grab some new ceramic pads rotors and sensors for around $250-300 put em on in your driveway with a friend and you’ll have something that will last, look a lot better and most importantly stop better.
(Kidding, we all know getting rid of those pesky lights is the most important thing!)

The following users liked this post:
The M People (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 PM
The M People
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCooper_S

I realize I didn’t answer your questions.

Yes your mini uses the same brake pad for regular braking and the parking brake. There is a mechanism in the caliper that adds mechanical pressure when the parking brake is engaged.

No it is technically not the same as replacing the whole parking brake assembly (cables, pivot arm, caliper and retaining but) but that doesn’t seem to be your issue.

A warning light for brakes is either to do with a scheduled maintenance or a wear sensor indicating low pads.
Grab some new ceramic pads rotors and sensors for around $250-300 put em on in your driveway with a friend and you’ll have something that will last, look a lot better and most importantly stop better.
(Kidding, we all know getting rid of those pesky lights is the most important thing!)

Thanks for your thoroughly explanation.
You answered all my questions.
I knew I need to replace both the front and rear brakes because I got the warning signal.
As of Saturday , the computer show front brake has 1400km and rear brake has 400km left. Also, brake fluid flush due this month. Come Sunday, rear brake was at -100km. I didn't even put on 50 km between Saturday and Sunday and it goes from +400km to -100km.
Today, the red circle and exclamation stay on even after I disengaged the parking brake. That's why I thought I have a problem with the parking brake. But after reading the owner's manual and did some research online, I think I just trigger the wear sensor for the red circle/exclamation to stay on.