R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 burning using a quart oil at every fill up

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:32 AM
r56drinksoil
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R56 burning using a quart oil at every fill up

This is my first topic
I have a 2009 R56 / n14 turbo
my car uses about a quart of oil every 350 miles or so
I have zero oil leaks
car runs like a champ!
recently replaced the valve cover because the ccv went south
car has 85k on the odometer
I use 5-30 Castrol full synthetic oil.
my problem at this point seems that it is using more oil then it ever has,when at a long idle and when the car has warmed up I can see the blue puff of smoke coming from the exhaust upon take off then it clears up pretty quickly.does not smoke in the morning upon start up at all,or at any other time. There is no water in the oil at all.when cruising and shifting I see no oil smoke coming from the exhaust either.
I assume bad valve stem seals and guides
I have not installed a oil catch can or the pcv delete caps yet but would that help rule out the burning oil?
I do have a bit of standing oil in the inlet side of the turbo plastic housing to turbo so there seems to be some blow by,and I was thinking by adding the catch can that would help that oil from entering the turbo to just get burned off into the exhaust,am I correct?
I did clean my my valves of the carbon about 3k ago , it was pretty badly caked on, I did not do a sea foam treatment i just scraped all the carbon off the valves and intake ports using a long dental pic and a inspection mirror, which worked great, and then vacuumed out the carbon particles with a shop vac which worked great!took all day but saved some money.
I recently installed the Detroit tuned upper lower turbo braided oil line kit, and since I had the exhaust down pipe off I did not see a oil soaked turbo on the exit side of the turbo.
with that all said i still need help beforeIi rule out stem seals and would adding a oil catch can be the way to go to see if that helps with the oil smoke,I am ok with it using oil to some degree but do not want to contaminate my cat and o2 sytem with burning oil, any help sugestions would be great
thanks

Old 04-12-2018, 11:02 AM
chimivee
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no answer, but just giving your thread a bump, since I have the same car/mileage. I'm not burning near as much oil as you—probably closer to 1 qt / 1500-2000 miles. Still not great. Interested to hear what people have to say about yours. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the line that sends oil to the turbo for cooling / lubrication leaking? I used to have to ad a quart per fill up on my Subaru when one of the lines split. I would only leave little oil drips everywhere and when the car wasn't running it didn't leak.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:58 AM
r56drinksoil
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scottkenny
Is the line that sends oil to the turbo for cooling / lubrication leaking? I used to have to ad a quart per fill up on my Subaru when one of the lines split. I would only leave little oil drips everywhere and when the car wasn't running it didn't leak.
yes it was leaking but not that bad,replaced the upper feed line with the Detroit tuned steel braided line,also replaced the lower return line and replaced the the oil filter housing gasket at the block

Last edited by r56drinksoil; 04-13-2018 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 04-13-2018, 07:18 AM
Scottkenny
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool! My leak was luckily only on the return line so I didn’t burn out the turbo. Would have sucked because I was tuned to 30 pounds of boost on that car.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:14 AM
mustangcruise
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might want to do a leak down test. Your story is very similar to mine. After doing the test it was fairly clear the piston rings were shot.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:03 PM
destr0
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mini burns about 1/3 QT per fill up. I think mine is turbo oil seal and will be tearing into it to see if I can figure out why. I hope it is turbo- will give me excuse to go K03/K04 hybrid.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:37 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Our MINIs have no oil seal in the turbocharger. it is just a close tolerance bushing.

Take the inlet hose off of the turbocharger and try and wiggle the compressor wheel and shaft, there should be no play. If there is play, it is time to recondition or replace your turbocharger.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:14 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 520 Likes on 432 Posts
If there are no leaks, I t would be Piston rings, Turbo, or valve seals.
Smoke on take off, I would probably rule out rings.
Hows compression, and leak down test. That would also rule out piston rings.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:16 PM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smoke gone

Well....for me a new valve cover stopped the smoke.
Interestingly the new valve cover didn't make a noise when I shook it but the old valve cover did. I was attempting to confirm the pcv was good or bad. I read if it makes a noise it's probably not ok. But doesn't appear to be the case.