R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Headlight swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:48 AM
jk6672
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Headlight swap

What would be involved in swapping a halegon headlight assembly for a bi-Xenon adaptive assembly?

Old 09-19-2018, 02:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Have you looked at the aftermarket ones:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eadlights.html

More info on link and install.^^

On the OEM genuine MINI bi xenon headlights retrofit:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rofit-kit.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
With the factory Retrofit kit you just install them then have to have the car recoded. We do the install and coding for free when customers buy the light kit from us.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/xenon-...7-r58-r59.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-08-2019, 05:56 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
With the factory Retrofit kit you just install them then have to have the car recoded. We do the install and coding for free when customers buy the light kit from us.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/xenon-...7-r58-r59.html
Do you do the coding remotely? If not, I have a wrenching buddy who has ISTA D and P. Could he code it rather than the dealer? I assume ISTA P is what is needed.
I'm seriously looking into this.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:38 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I have halogens on my car (which I hate) and want to get the Xenon HID type of lighting and wasn't sure which light set up to get.
I want OEM operation but don't want to pay OEM pricing. I know I want headlights that are black (not grey) and not sure of the difference between the spyders and OEM.
Not really feeling the retrofit kit. So which lights would work flawless on a 2013 R56 JCW?

Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by FredoinSF
Do you do the coding remotely? If not, I have a wrenching buddy who has ISTA D and P. Could he code it rather than the dealer? I assume ISTA P is what is needed.
I'm seriously looking into this.
Sorry we don't do remote coding. But if your friend can code he should be able to do it as it is a factory retrofit.

Originally Posted by KCLARK
I have halogens on my car (which I hate) and want to get the Xenon HID type of lighting and wasn't sure which light set up to get.
I want OEM operation but don't want to pay OEM pricing. I know I want headlights that are black (not grey) and not sure of the difference between the spyders and OEM.
Not really feeling the retrofit kit. So which lights would work flawless on a 2013 R56 JCW?
I personally don't like the Spyders as I don't feel they are any brighter than the stock non xenons.
If you want black headlights going to the factory black set with the proper wiring and coding would be ideal. That is how I did my clubman as I also wanted them to be black.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Sorry we don't do remote coding. But if your friend can code he should be able to do it as it is a factory retrofit.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Looking at all options for this conversion from halogens to xenon and I found a set of silver housing clear lens xenons at a local wrecking yard for $500. Supposedly they are in perfect condition (insurance grade A.)
If I go with the used ones rather than the MINI retrofit kit, is there wiring involved in addition to coding or is it plug in, code, and all good? If I have to mess with the wiring I'll definitely go with the retrofit kit.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:07 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by FredoinSF
Looking at all options for this conversion from halogens to xenon and I found a set of silver housing clear lens xenons at a local wrecking yard for $500. Supposedly they are in perfect condition (insurance grade A.)
If I go with the used ones rather than the MINI retrofit kit, is there wiring involved in addition to coding or is it plug in, code, and all good? If I have to mess with the wiring I'll definitely go with the retrofit kit.
Yes you will have to do wiring to install any factory xenons that aren't the retrofit kit. And code it too.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Yes you will have to do wiring to install any factory xenons that aren't the retrofit kit. And code it too.
Thank you, retrofit kit with new OEM lights is starting to make sense for my situation. Now need to convince my partner that we have to have this.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:47 PM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
If you want black headlights going to the factory black set with the proper wiring and coding would be ideal. That is how I did my clubman as I also wanted them to be black.
do you sell the black factory HID set with the proper wiring? I'm assuming this is an OEM set up?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by KCLARK
do you sell the black factory HID set with the proper wiring? I'm assuming this is an OEM set up?
No there isn't a wiring kit to do it as it will depend on the production date and model as to what will have to be added and or changed to make them work.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:44 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Has a Plug and Play HID/Xenon kit been developed yet that one can do a direct swap for 2013 R56 that came with halogens?
I just want something simple that will work like OEM in my car and give me HID/Xenon look, without all the fuss with trying to do ballast swapping, cutting the lights open and retrofitting something inside in order to get the look I want. Also would like HID foglight kit too! Anything from Way or ECS or another company that I can go to that already has this lighting issue (going from halogen to Xenon) figured out. Which link from the above posts is answer/fix for what I need to get?