R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Transmission Fluid change may cause issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:01 AM
Rigid Conduit
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid change may cause issues?

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and new to Mini's in general.
I just bought a 2013 Cooper 2dr Base model -
Has the N16 engine with a 6-speed manual.
After a ton of research, I realized that buying one that you can prove has been serviced regularly is the best way to go.

And that is exactly what I did.

Well, when I got it, it looks like the oil needs to be changed ASAP, its not low, but its getting pretty dark and I dont like running around with old oil in the car.

While I am at it, I decided it might be a good idea to get the tranny fluid changed as well, 2nd gear might have the beginnings of a synchro failure, as if I don't confidently kick it into second, it will grind second gear a little.
And it only happens when I am careless and just casually slot it into 2nd gear.
Being new to this transmission, I have done it a couple of times already.

However my last car has a similar issue in third gear, and after 100k miles and shifting with caution I never once had a problem.

So I've thought about it and realized if there is indeed a failure of one of the synchro's, then there is probably small metal shavings in the transmission, and I want to get the tranny fluid changed.

I called my local service center, and they basically refused to do it, claiming that it can cause issues.
They said they could, however, charge me $100something dollars to diagnose this issue.
Then when they fix the transmission, they would have changed the fluid as well.

Otherwise, without servicing the tranny they won't touch it because it will "most likely cause issues or cause something to break"
Even if there is potentially shrapnel roaming around in the tranny fluid.

I am trying to find if there is any truth in this?
I believe with my past experience that with automatics, if there is sludge build up or something, and you do a flush, it could cause issues with solenoids and what not.
I didn't think this applied to manuals though.

But otherwise, I cannot think of a reason why changing the tranny fluid will cause "damage"/issues with my transmission as the dealer states?

I know there is a claim that the tranny fluid is lifetime rated, but I don't trust that at all, especially with possible shrapnel running around in my tranny.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this claim of changing fluids will cause issues?

I will say this mini has 102k miles on it now, and I am not sure the tranny fluid has ever been changed.
The only tranny work I know of, was a new clutch at 48k miles and maybe the fluid was changed then ("maybe").

Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
You are being scammed! Ask them to explain exactly how changing the fluid in manual transmission can cause more damage? Where's there data on the subject? Sounds like you already have the damage (worn) synchros, and no lubricant in the world is going to fix that. ZF recommends changing the manual transmission fluid between 50-70K miles.

When I took our MINI to the dealer for the same problem you were having (1-2 gear grinding when it was cold), the first thing the MINI engineers told the shop to do was change the fluid. When that didn't fix it, we got a new transmission under warranty.

You got new fluid when the clutch was changed. Draining the transmission is part of the procedure. Otherwise, the fluid will come out of the transmission when you pull the driveshafts out, and that would make a big mess!

Old 05-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Rigid Conduit
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You got new fluid when the clutch was changed. Draining the transmission is part of the procedure. Otherwise, the fluid will come out of the transmission when you pull the driveshafts out, and that would make a big mess!
Yes, I feel dumb on that one, I've done a clutch replacement on my own on my Honda a long long time ago, it involved pulling the axels out which dumped the fluid (obviously)

But yeah, I know we did a flush on an automatic Acura MDX, and a short while later the hydraulic channels inside the transmission got gunked up, and the transmission stopped working.
(gunked up from all the stuff we loosened during the flush and fluid change on the transmission.)

Cost us an arm and a leg to clean it all out, and put it back together, afterward it was perfect.

But like I said, I think you might run into that problem on an automatic, but I am under the impression that same issue typically cant happen on a manual (i don't think?)
As all the solenoids that do the shifting are gone along with all the tiny hydraulic pathways they use, so there is nothing to clog... or at least that is my impression?

Last edited by Rigid Conduit; 05-13-2019 at 12:10 PM.