R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Scoop/Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 PM
Parker Young
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Scoop/Intake questions

So I've been looking at getting a cold air intake. I've been looking the NM CAI however I've been reading and found out the open CAI's like the NM just suck in hot air from the engine bay.

I'm wondering if this can be solved by unblocking the hood scoop to let cold fresh air in from there. If this works. What can be done about driving in rain/snow/dirty environments/bugs on the highway or simply washing your car.

Any other options welcome. I really do want to replace the stock air intake box along with the turbo inlet pipe!

Old 07-20-2019, 04:40 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
You can replace the hood plastic with a better flowing piece like this:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-fi...oop-grill.html

or you could use the hood scoop as a ram-type true cold air type intake like one of these two from DDM or AEM:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwork...ke-system.html
http://www.waymotorworks.com/aem-col...-cooper-s.html

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:05 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Depends on what you want. Removing the plastic grid from hood scoop would help a little for not much effort.

AEM cold air intake or similar will give you the best performance but will not fit cars with other branded engine brace

Any other open CAI will just suck in hot air from the engine bay.

Something like the GTT Cold Ram ‘Extreme’ Induction Kit or similar uses the original air duct for air.

If you're not after perofrmance just any cheap decent open CAI will make the car sound good.

AEM or similar will give better performace comparedc to open CAI but costs are high compared to DIY open CAI.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:39 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I might be wrong, but isn't the stock OEM intake already cold air?

Old 07-20-2019, 05:57 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
There are a few YouTube videos that compare oem cold air intakes, as our MINIs have, with aftermarket cold air intakes. They all show poorer performance on the chassis dynamometer than stock intakes. The automobile manufacturers put a lot of effort into engineering their air intakes, aftermarket companies, not so much.

I took the screen out of my hood scoop and just left it open, I haven't noticed any more debris in the engine compartment than before I took the screen out. I removed the screen, to reduce underhood temperatures, in addition to insulating the turbocharger. it significantly reduced the underhood temperatures, so rubber parts don't get cooked.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:54 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Yes the intakes that are open like that on the Turbo MINI just suck hot air from the engine compartment and actually loose you power. The JCW actually has shown the best gains, but if you want it for sound our DDM street is the best value.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/07-10-...mance/intakes/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more