R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Translate dash error codes to P-codes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 03:41 PM
david_foster
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Translate dash error codes to P-codes?

Does anyone know of a resource to translate the MINI dash error codes into conventional P-codes or get the dash code's meaning? I'm able to get into the computer, but I can't understand the codes. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2019, 04:05 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Those are likely BMW proprietary error codes that don't map into the SAE/ISO OBD2 error codes.

Here's a link on the BMW 931D error code:

https://www.autoxuga.com/averiasreci...mwdtc931C.html

BMW might offer a reference on its error codes. I have had factory (Porsche no less) OBD2 diagnostic manuals which detail at least some of the manufacturer specific error codes.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:06 AM
david_foster
2nd Gear
Thank you for the reference. I'll try to figure out what the codes mean.

Got a generic P-300 this morning on a scanner.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:53 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by david_foster
Thank you for the reference. I'll try to figure out what the codes mean.

Got a generic P-300 this morning on a scanner.
P0300 is random misfires multiple cylinders.

This suggests an engine wide problem not just a cylinder or two problem. An intake air leak is a possible explanation. Low fuel pressure or inadequate supply of fuel (especially for cars equipped with a high pressure fuel pump which often needs a low pressure fuel pump) is another possible explanation. And there are more possible things that could explain the error code.

If the engine is not manifesting any untoward behavior the SOP is to clear the code and road test the car. If the code comes back there's a problem. If the code doesn't come back it was a "glitch". Maybe. P0300 is a pretty complex code that has to have a number of misfire events from a number of cylinders before the code is logged.

With other error cars and error codes -- none so far with my MINI -- sometimes it would take a while before the code would reappear. And a long enough while that I believed the code would not come back. But a P0300 if it is "real" probably will come back shortly.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 AM
david_foster
2nd Gear
Yes, my experience and understanding of the codes like that is similar. The MINI shop recommended by the MA MINI club members most told me that there's a code for the HPFP if that's the culprit, but generic readers don't usually show it.

I just learned from the PO (the car is only a few days old to me) that on the way to drop the car off to me, he ran the fuel so low that the motor "basically ran out of gas" at the station, where he mistakenly put in 87 octane fuel. He then dropped the car off to me after driving a few miles from the gas station.

He also told me that his mechanic recently recommended changing the fuel filter, but the PO declined that service. He also admitted the mechanic he uses has a rental space where the mechanic works at night, takes only cash, and gets all of his parts from Autozone.

I'm reluctant to drive the car for a couple a reasons - it's not registered, not titled in our name, and we have the half-orange engine light warning that recommends not driving it at all. Plus, now that I know the tank has 87 in it, and maybe it's bad gas, it can sit for now until I can figure out what to do with it.

Thanks again for the response.