R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Where do I go next with horn debug?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 11:06 PM
tylergoelz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I go next with horn debug?

So I've gotten the horns off and tested the connectors with multimeter. I'm doing it myself so I don't 100% trust probes are connected properly. However when I probe the fuse and press the horn there's power.

Based on that, what should I debug next? 12V to horns? Could it be the relay or does fuse test rule that out? Could it be a break in the wiring between fuse/relay and horn plugs?

Old 09-25-2019, 10:38 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
What do you mean --- "probe the fuse"? Fuses are typically tested with an ohmmeter, out of the circuit. Have you tried to switch the horn fuse with another fuse of identical rating? What caused you to remove the horns, one not working, or both?

Old 09-25-2019, 11:48 AM
tylergoelz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
What do you mean --- "probe the fuse"? Fuses are typically tested with an ohmmeter, out of the circuit. Have you tried to switch the horn fuse with another fuse of identical rating? What caused you to remove the horns, one not working, or both?
Hey oldbroken,

Thanks for your response.

I replaced the fuse as the first step during diag. Since that didn't work I already had the bumper off so took the horns off to try and test them and the connection there (can't get a reading through the horn plug).

But, I took the multimeter and plugged them into the fuse box as if they were the fuse, then pressed the horn, and read 12v. I meant that I probed the fuse box, not the fuse itself.

Thanks!
Tyler

Old 09-25-2019, 03:18 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
if you don't know what you are doing with the meter

I'd mention that it is possible to really mess things up via random probing .......

this warning aside I'd look at a couple of things .....

both horns have failed? Have you TESTED the horns? It is possible one horn failed a while back and now the second ...... easy to test the horns. (I recently had to replace failed horns <not a mini> horns mounted low as they are on a MINI can get water in then and then they fail)

You've verified 'juice' to the circuit with your fuse box probe (I think) ..... MINI DOES have a relay in the horn circuit. So a relay failure is possible. Find the horn relay ..... most of the relay circuits in the MINI use the same relay. SWAP ..... TEST .....

testing at the horn end of the wires is easy .... each horn has a hot and a ground .... meter to the hot and the ground and hit the button. If in doubt about the ground at the horn go from the hot to a chassis spot. (the MINI ground wires are brown) If neither horn wire get juice then the relay is suspect.