R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 WTB Alta Access-port have question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 12:32 PM
minimufuggincoop
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTB Alta Access-port have question.

Hello, i havent really post to here before so i hope this in the right area and i apologize if it is not.
ive found that these cars are hard to get tuned or at least where i live (Ohio). i know of a shop called Detroit tuned that does it but it is pretty expensive so i have been searching for an accessport to buy at a reasonable price.
i also have a few questions regarding it. do they come pre loaded with tunes already and is it also possible to take it to my local tuner here in Toledo Ohio that often does tuning on vehicles with Cobb tuners, or simply just get custom tunes out onto it. i have a 2013 n18 cooper s.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
They are no longer made and I think only worked on an N14. Not sure about the files. You might be able to get them from Alta. It was a Cobb product till Alta did something. Ther RPM tun is still your best option and is going rate for a good tune. https://www.detroittuned.com/gen-2-e...ne-management/

Old 10-11-2019, 11:38 AM
minimufuggincoop
1st Gear
i knew they werent made anymore but if it was available at one point i was hoping to maybe get ahold one. ive really been wanting to drive up and get a tune from you guys eventually otherwise. would a stock clutch handle the stage 2 tune well?

Old 10-11-2019, 01:18 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Pretty sure AP's don't work on N18. Even if they did, you'd be stuck with canned tunes --- hardly anyone out there has the license or equipment to do AP tuning for the Mini. There are others doing custom tunes, but hard to find and results may not be proven. RPM is probably your best bet.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:33 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I Agree with what you are already being told. If you have the option to get a custom tune from Detroit Tuned, go for it, otherwise you are probably best off going with an established tune like RPM. Get in touch with Mariokart about tuning it. I am very happy with my stage 3 RPM tune. It is currently running on a LOT of Mini's on this site alone. Especially since Manic is no longer in the game. I would be careful going to a generic tuner because they are in the area or can program files for an AP. These cars are a bit quirky, and if Mini is not something they usually deal with, its not worth the risk of a blown motor. Stick with a well established tune for Mini's with a track record and you will be happier and have fewer issues.
Also, make sure the car and especially the engine are healthy and everything is working properly, or the tune may expose or amplify any issues that may be present. Most of the times you see someone having a problem with a known good tune is a problem with the car and not the tuning.
Good luck and keep us posted

Old 10-11-2019, 05:18 PM
minimufuggincoop
1st Gear
Yeah I didn’t know much about the accessport so I thought maybe if I found a old one it could be a cheaper alternative for me. Detroit tuned does rpm tunes and I’m greatly considering it just trying to decide how to prioritize my limited money haha. I emailed them some questions. Waiting on a reply. My mini seems pretty healthy. I’d like to compression check it to be sure. I do have a slight idle fluctuation when I cold start but that’s it.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:36 AM
minimufuggincoop
1st Gear
Thanks i gave Mario a message. otherwise ill continue to look into Detroit Tuned.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:40 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
We sell the RPM Engine management tunes as does Mario, we are the only 2 US dealers that there will ever be. But we are so much closer! https://www.detroittuned.com/gen-2-e...ne-management/

Old 10-16-2019, 08:05 AM
minimufuggincoop
1st Gear
yeah very true. i sent you guys an email with a bunch of questions but nobody got back with me. dm me if you need to know which email i sent.