R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How do I know if I have satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 03:48 PM
ihate100bees
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I know if I have satellite radio?

I received a special from Sirius Radio for a free 3-month subscription. However I've never seen Sirius listed anywhere in my radio. I called the dealer and they say according to my VIN number I should have it. My Cooper is the R56 hardtop 2011 model 2-door. Stock radio. I am not seeing any listing for Sirius on my radio. Should I? Where? Is it possible terrified run the subscription that it would pop up? Thanks so much! Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-27-2019, 04:22 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Our 2012 has it. I think on later models you had to have the dealer activate it, which I don't think applies to a 2011. Anyway, I kept it for a few months, the audio was horrible. Which I've been told is due to the amount of compression they use. When I went to cancel, it was a nightmare. Horrible company to deal with..

The following users liked this post:
ihate100bees (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 11:06 PM
ihate100bees
1st Gear
Thanks for your reply. So, when you say you had the dealer activate it... I'm not seeing anything in my radio that says satellite, is it possible that the dealer could activate mine? When I called them, they say that according to my VIN number oh, I should have it. But I don't see anything that insinuates that.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:09 AM
tman
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My '11 MCS has it, when you hit mode button "SAT" should be one of the sources.
If it doesn't show up I'd say it needs to be activated by dealer?

The following users liked this post:
ihate100bees (11-29-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Raymond Gilliland
Neutral
I just went through the same thing with my 2013 R59 I recently bought. I think Sirius automatically signs you up for a 3 month free trail when the car changes hands. Press the mode button and SAT should be the second option. you can look up your VIN on their website and see when the trial ends.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:52 AM
ihate100bees
1st Gear
Still no sign of SAT on my radio display. Call the dealer and they assured me my radio should have it. Mechanic said to follow the directions although XM Radio offer and it should show up. Confirmation of the trial but still no sign of SAT on the display. Spoke to the dealer manager and said the radios automatically come with that option come up there for he felt there may be a problem that the dealership needs to check into on my radio. Does this mean a diagnose? Really don't want to go there considering the radio works just fine in every other way. I have an appointment on Monday to bring it in. Then, I found an older thread here in regard to the same situation, no visible SAT where it should be. Apparently in 2012 there were just over 1,000 radios that did not get programmed from the Factory. Apparently there is a bulletin in regards to this. My mini is a 2011 but I am now thinking my model might be part of this issue. Apparently the dealership wanted to charge them $500 to reprogram the radio. However, in regards to the bulletin that was released, they ended up reprogramming the radio for free and it resolved the issue. I think that is the problem here with mine. I think my radio somehow was never programmed with SAT. Another mini owner it's in the same thread mentioned that when the radios are programmed from the factory come up if the car is inoperable or sits for a. Of six months or more, SAT becomes invisible and needs to be reprogrammed in or... Activated. Then, there was another owner that made mention that after they spoke to a Sirius XM technician, they spent an hour trying to diagnose and apparently the technician made it visible. Has anybody else had this issue where there radio need to be reprogrammed because XM radio was not visible? Did they happen to mention what the cause would have been from? At this point, I'm trying to figure out if there is anything else I could do prior to bringing it back to the dealership. I have a bad feeling they are going to try and charge me for their time to diagnose the problem. I'm definitely not going to reprogram my radio for $500 just so I could try out the XM Radio when everything else has been working just fine. I think this falls back on the dealership that they should correct the problem. I purchase my vehicle used from a private dealership not Mini Cooper and that might also be a problem with them. However, the XM radio special offer came from this dealership because I have been bringing my car back for oil changes, Etc...