R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2008 R56 Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 06:26 AM
Sean Foody
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 R56 Exhaust Question

Hi Guys, and Happy Thanksgiving! It's been a while since I've posted due to school and whatnot but I'm left with an exhaust dilemma. Nothing is broken on my exhaust, but it relates to what I should do first. For an update on my R56 S, I recently had a few things go wrong on it. The water pump and thermostat went, causing me to be stranded on I90 in Boston, but I safely got towed off the road. Two weeks after that, the car had a coil and the pre-catalyst O2 sensor go wrong, and the car was running lean. I replaced the spark plugs with 4 brand new Bosch Iridium ones just to rule out a spark plug issue, and the air intake pipe after the mass airflow sensor was cracked badly on the cold side of the turbo, making the car run more lean than it already had been. I've been speaking with my grandfather who was a mechanic for many years, and he suggests that the catalytic converter will be the next part to go. Now onto my dilemma: I have been debating on getting either a sports downpipe or a catback exhaust system. My first choice for the downpipe is the Milltek sports cat downpipe, and my first choice for the catback would also be a Milltek system, non-resonated. Two things I ask: which one should I do and are there any brands you guys recommend that are cheaper but still reasonable quality? I really like the crackles and pops the downpipe provides but the catback system also makes the exhaust note sound very good. The milltek sports cat downpipe with a JCW muffler sounded very nice, and I'd like that sound but I cannot afford the downpipe and a brand new muffler. On ECS tuning, the catback and the sports downpipe are similar in price and are both affordable for me, and I do not want to do a decat because passing emissions in Massachusetts will be impossible. Thanks!

P.S. the car has 118,000 on the odometer. Any ideas about what may go wrong next so I can be prepared?

​​​​​​​

These pictures are the air intake pipe after I removed it. The top picture is the pipe without the cracked pieces, and the bottom picture is what came off the pipe. I did not have to force those pieces to come off as they were so cracked and only the hose clamp was really holding them on. The circled pieces are the plastic from the pipe and the other piece in the bottom photo is the gasket which was toast.