R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Borrow tool- tensioner wrench - north ATL

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 11:10 PM
AutoMutt
2nd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Borrow tool- tensioner wrench - north ATL

Visiting the in-laws in Canton GA and the drive belt on a 2013 R56 needs to be replaced on my sister-in-laws car. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone in the area have one I can borrow for a few hours? Happy to buy you some beer. thanks in advance!

Old 01-01-2020, 03:03 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm nowhere near to lent you a tool but maybe this information is useful nevertheless:

1. There are two possible sizes the "bolt" for the belt tensioner comes in (at least that's the case here in Europe) so check in advance which one your sister-in-law's car needs (either 21mm or 30mm hex wrench size). My european market, 2010 LCI base Cooper needs a 30mm wrench.

2. Any standard, straight ended (i.e. neither angled nor offset) 12-point head wrench of the appropriate size (see above) can be used from below the car. I did it with a Gedore "Nr 4" series. If the total length of the tool is more than a foot, a bracket holding an airconditioner pipe needs to be loosened. If the tool is shorter, it is simply a matter of removing the front right wheel and folding back half of the inner wheel arch cover. Either way you will need a helper to press the tensioner lock button from above. A video I found helfpful before doing it myself is:

3. Alternatively any straight or angled (but not offset!) 12-point wrench of the appropriate size can be used from above the engine after the headlights and the lock bridge have been removed. A helper is not required this way. The downside is that the headlights need to be adjusted after re-assembly.

I prefer method 2 myself as adjusting the headlights without an adjustment device is a PIA.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:34 AM
AutoMutt
2nd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by giorgos
I'm nowhere near to lent you a tool but maybe this information is useful nevertheless:

1. There are two possible sizes the "bolt" for the belt tensioner comes in (at least that's the case here in Europe) so check in advance which one your sister-in-law's car needs (either 21mm or 30mm hex wrench size). My european market, 2010 LCI base Cooper needs a 30mm wrench.

2. Any standard, straight ended (i.e. neither angled nor offset) 12-point head wrench of the appropriate size (see above) can be used from below the car. I did it with a Gedore "Nr 4" series. If the total length of the tool is more than a foot, a bracket holding an airconditioner pipe needs to be loosened. If the tool is shorter, it is simply a matter of removing the front right wheel and folding back half of the inner wheel arch cover. Either way you will need a helper to press the tensioner lock button from above. A video I found helfpful before doing it myself is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYcPp4WaIbI

3. Alternatively any straight or angled (but not offset!) 12-point wrench of the appropriate size can be used from above the engine after the headlights and the lock bridge have been removed. A helper is not required this way. The downside is that the headlights need to be adjusted after re-assembly.

I prefer method 2 myself as adjusting the headlights without an adjustment device is a PIA.
thanks man, very helpful. My wife has an R52 and the R56s have just enough different that none of these tools I brought up will work. Just went over to WMW in Atl and bought the tool (soooo freaking nice, Tori waited for me to get there before leaving for the day on New years day!). Between that and the video it was a quick job.

thanks again, happy new year to you.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:49 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
You're welcome, I'm glad it was helpful. Happy new year to you as well!

Old 01-02-2020, 08:26 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Glad we could help as that tool makes it so easy and a really pretty quick job.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/belt-t...8-r60-r61.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more