R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Extremely low mileage 2010 R56 - Timing Kit or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 11:45 AM
MandB
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Extremely low mileage 2010 R56 - Timing Kit or not?

Hello friends!
Hope everyone has been having a nice Holiday break along with happy motoring.

Quick question for the masses...
Our 2010 R56, "Declan", continues to thrive even though she's a "Garage Queen" and has only just passed the 22,000 mile mark (over 10 years).
The car has been meticulously maintained (semi-annual oil changes and filters just to keep current), is regularly hooked to a Battery Tender during periods of non-use, and is often ogled at any service related appointment.

On our last oil change appointment, our local independent mechanic (very nice and reputable shop) commented that we may want to consider some preventative maintenance in the form of replacing the timing chain tensioner guide. Recognizing that the part IS made of plastic and can age/degrade on its own, the car has shown NO signs of any issues with regard to the "death rattle".
While I am usually always a fan of getting ahead of any potential issues, some of the stories I have read online suggest that the replacement of the guide is somewhat invasive and, depending on the person/s performing the work, COULD result in additional problems that weren't there in the first place.

I know everyone's experience may vary but are there any general thoughts on this particular type of service (prior to there being an issue) and whether or not it seems worth considering?

Brian

Old 01-14-2020, 12:17 PM
sjfuqua_mini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience, just went through this with my 2009 Mini, not intending to. Mine began consuming oil and it was suggested I replace the valve cover and valve cover gasket. When I removed the valve cover, I discovered the gaskets were dry and brittle but worse a portion of the upper timing chain guide had broken off and was somewhere in the engine (likely the oil pan).

Long story short, I did a complete timing kit replacement with all the associated bits, as well as removing the oil pan (to find the missing pieces) and removed and inspected the oil pump.

Not only had the upper guide failed, the other plastic guides that are replaced as part of the kit were old and brittle with many pieces having broken off and fallen into the sump. All kinds of potential problems ranging from the metal pieces from the upper guide could have lodged in the timing chain or oil pump chain (and causing failure) or the plastic bits clogging the oil pump suction and causing a loss of oil pressure could have been in the cards for me. And I thought the mini was in great mechanical condition. The plastic parts seemed to have failed more from age than mileage.

So even though I had no "known" problems that would have me replace the timing chain in my 10 year old Mini, I think I was lucky and am now very glad I did the maintenance.

That is my story -- may not be the same for others on this forum.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:39 PM
mini907
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi is this a S model or base, I just rebuilt my N12 base model with 150k on it. The timing chain was actually still good. That being said it might have been changed by some one else im not the first owner.. But normally the base model dosent have the timing chain problem.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:54 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mini907
Hi is this a S model or base, I just rebuilt my N12 base model with 150k on it. The timing chain was actually still good. That being said it might have been changed by some one else im not the first owner.. But normally the base model dosent have the timing chain problem.
I have a base N12. I had the death rattle at 36K miles (2009 model) and damaged guides when removed/pieces missing. The justa cars do suffer chain fatigue and brittle guides, vouch for that fully and it is not the case that they are exempt. I shall concede that the S version has many more problems and seems to develop them faster than the justa.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 AM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
If the car isn't exhibiting any signs or loud-start rattle sounds, then don't worry about it. Don't let fear dictate your maintenance or repair decisions. The car has had a good life so far and with only 22K miles in North Carolina, I wouldn't make any repairs until you start hearing sounds that validate a timing chain swap. The timing chain components aren't like bread. They don't go bad from sitting too long in the pantry (garage). Drive it and enjoy your car!