R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cooling Issues At The Track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 07:18 AM
Brad From FL
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling Issues At The Track?

I am relatively new to the Mini World (always admired it from afar) and am looking at preparing my '13 JCW Hardtop for track day use.
I have found many threads that address brakes, suspension, and power but I have not found any that address the cooling system capacity. Also, I have been unable to locate any aftermarket radiator with more capacity than the stock one.
There are three possible reasons for this that I can see:
  1. My Google Fu is weak
  2. The stock radiator is sufficient for track day use and nobody bothers with upgrades
  3. It is common knowledge that a custom radiator is required
My home track is Sebring, and it tends to get hot here during the summer so cooling issues are second only to brakes from my perspective.
Can someone offer some advice or better yet actual experience data?

Old 01-31-2020, 08:42 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I haven't had any cooling issues on my various track days, and a couple of those have been back to back sessions swapping with my son. Just push the Sport mode button, that will keep the engine temp to 180F. There's plenty of cooling capacity, if you have a way of monitoring the coolant temperature (OBD2 <-> Bluetooth dongle plus the Torque app on your phone for example) it is really impressive to see how fast the temperature drops from 220 to 180 when you hit Sport mode. Install some brake pads appropriate for track use, flush with high temp brake fluid, check your engine fluids and tires, and you're good to go.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:55 PM
Brad From FL
Neutral
I appreciate the info that you have provided.
I was unaware the Sport button changes the thermostat temperature.
Looks like I'll be going to the track sooner than expected.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:42 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad From FL
I am relatively new to the Mini World (always admired it from afar) and am looking at preparing my '13 JCW Hardtop for track day use.
I have found many threads that address brakes, suspension, and power but I have not found any that address the cooling system capacity. Also, I have been unable to locate any aftermarket radiator with more capacity than the stock one.
There are three possible reasons for this that I can see:
  1. My Google Fu is weak
  2. The stock radiator is sufficient for track day use and nobody bothers with upgrades
  3. It is common knowledge that a custom radiator is required
My home track is Sebring, and it tends to get hot here during the summer so cooling issues are second only to brakes from my perspective.
Can someone offer some advice or better yet actual experience data?
squawSkiBum offered some good comments.

Wanted to add you should show up at the track with fresh oil in the engine. And the rest of the car should have no issues, and this includes the cooling system. No time is a good time to drive around with a coolant leak but the worst time is to hit the track with a small coolant leak.

While I suspect the stock cooling system has the extra capacity to handle track usage I 2nd the advice to monitor the coolant temperature in real time and if you see it going up and up and up, back off and take a cool down lap then get off the track.

Not with my JCW but with another car in extremely high ambient temperature or when in just hot weather and driving on mountain roads in a spirited manner I have seen the coolant temperature climb to 226F. The engine was fine, manifested no signs it was in any way bothered by the coolant temperature, and no matter what I did the temperature did not go any higher. The stock cooling system generally has a pretty good margin of cooling capacity.

Might add besides monitoring coolant temperature you should monitor if at all possible oil temperature. The oil is in direct contact with the hottest parts of the engine and while with another car (Hellcat) just on the street the coolant temperature stays in very close to 200F oil temperature can climb to 231F. Now this is not that hot considering the oil's working temperature is 212F.

On the track with the speed you may not see oil temperature that high -- with my Hellcat the oil temperature falls quite fast when I switch from driving in town to driving on the freeway -- or you could see it go higher -- but you won't know if you don't monitor the oil temperature.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:59 PM
Brad From FL
Neutral
Thank you for your input RockC.

I agree having proper instrumentation is critical in a track environment. The lack of instrumentation is my main complaint with the JCW.
My other car has spoiled me with the range of data you can get from the stock instruments.
I plan to get for the JCW one of the digital dashboards that AEM manufactures.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:39 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 316 Likes on 231 Posts
Great info above...NAM'ers are great with track info I'm finding.

I've had great luck with Evans NPG coolant in other engines that are run really hard... has anyone run this in their R56's ??

Removing the AC condenser...I'd imagine that helps with airflow to stocker.

Last edited by mountainhorse; 02-12-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 316 Likes on 231 Posts
Not that it is needed.... only for info...

Does anyone make a higher capacity radiator that fits well in this R56 platform?