R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Flicking Lights at start-up......

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 04:18 AM
jpsjr1970
3rd Gear
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Flicking Lights at start-up......

Hi Everyone. So I replaced my Halogen Headlights for the OEM Xenon 25W Headlights thanks to ECS Tuning (Excellent Price and Customer Service), but I’m still getting flicking lights at start up. I changed the the following lights....

Turn Signal Lights = LED Bulbs
Tail Lamps = Depo LED Tail Lamps
Daytime Running Light = LED Bulbs
Reverse Lights = LED Bulbs
Interior Lights = LED Bulbs

So my question is simple, I’ve read where you can change values with a scanner by shutting off low voltage checker?, is this true? If so what scanner works best? I live in Central NJ does anyone have one I can use and pay for sampling? Thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-06-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 07:18 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by jpsjr1970
Hi Everyone. So I replaced my Halogen Headlights for the OEM Xenon 25W Headlights thanks to ECS Tuning (Excellent Price and Customer Service), but I’m still getting flicking lights at startup. I changed the following lights...

Turn Signal Lights = LED Bulbs
Tail Lamps = Depo LED Tail Lamps
Daytime Running Light = LED Bulbs
Reverse Lights = LED Bulbs
Interior Lights = LED Bulbs

So my question is simple, I’ve read where you can change values with a scanner by shutting off low voltage checker? is this true? If so what scanner works best? I live in Central NJ does anyone have one I can use and pay for sampling? Thoughts?
1 - I don't think the Xenon headlights have any effect on the flickering.
2 - I've done essentially the same LED conversion, initially with any LEDs I could get & they flickered. I've since replaced them using Canbus bulbs & I don't think they flicker any more. I'll check again later.
3 - If I understand it correctly, there are 2 electrical checks - one is a general one that can't be turned off, the other is a bulb check that can be turned off with the right scanner.

I think Canbus bulbs are the solution, otherwise, you need to add a resistor to each bulb. Get extra bulbs as I've found the reliability to be variable! All mine were cheap, from China.
There's another similar thread here somewhere.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:00 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
There is a setting that can be changed by coding so that the car does not check on start up whether a bulb has blown.

The "checking voltage" is so short, that regular bulbs do not emit any light (yet the car can sense whether current flows or not). LED lights however do emit light during this check, resulting in the flickering on start up.

mountainhorse (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:37 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 316 Likes on 231 Posts
The ECS webpage for that product has a link below the description to how to code the lights... MUST be coded.

I have this kit on my R56 and love it... though it is not as bright as the factory Halogens with good bulbs in it..... (compared to Sylvania Silverstar Ultra +)

I have the 35watt upgrade D5S bulbs on order.... want to see how much it improves the situation

If I were to do it again... I'd do an aftermarket HID upgrade to the halogen housings with a quality kit (not the cheapies you find for a bargain on Ali, Amaz, or fleabay)

Old 02-04-2020, 07:36 PM
theyboosting
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Theres a line of code: its a warm / cold startup light check that you turn off so it doesn't flicker .. thats if you are committed to keeping the LED's

Old 02-05-2020, 02:53 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Old 02-06-2020, 12:42 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Yep it has to be coded, i think you are talking about the LED bulbs you put in the turn signals, not the xenons? If you have stock bulbs for the turn signals that came with the kit, you will not get a bulb check.

If you have aftermarket LED ones that are canbus you will just get the bulb check at start up. Only does it at start up.

You would have to code out each section of lights that do that bulb check.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
mountainhorse (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 01:52 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
If you are talking about the YELLOW (aka Amber) turnsignals... ALL bulbs flicker at startup for me...

I settled on this one from LasFit
https://www.lasfit.com/collections/1...bus-error-free

I've tried quite a few of the others LED bulbs... all gave error codes.

These do not give any error, do not need resistors.... and ECLIPSE (brightness) any other bulb I've tried for turn/hazard... Morimoto and other quality brands don't even come close. (and no... I don't work for these guys NOR sell any car products)

I do not mind the bulb check flashes that the mini runs through on start up.... That happens for a second or two...I can live with that. (seems like I can code it out too??)
There is NO other flickering of these bulbs.

They claim 2600 lumens... and, I believe them.
I like having these in especially for hazard situations... they catch your attention... turning too.

Expensive, but worth the money IMO.

There are others that are selling a similar/identical bulb... all pricey, but I know this one works VERY well in my 2011 R56.

ECS... You should look into finding/selling these bulbs on your site ... I'd buy from you.

Last edited by mountainhorse; 02-06-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:55 PM
jpsjr1970
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep it has to be coded, i think you are talking about the LED bulbs you put in the turn signals, not the xenons? If you have stock bulbs for the turn signals that came with the kit, you will not get a bulb check.

If you have aftermarket LED ones that are canbus you will just get the bulb check at start up. Only does it at start up.

You would have to code out each section of lights that do that bulb check.
Thanks! I replaced the bulb that came with the lights and used a led without canbus, I will plan to try a bulb with canbus. If all fails I’ll buy a coder and do new code. Which coder works best? Unfortunately dealer will not do special coding......

Old 02-06-2020, 02:56 PM
jpsjr1970
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mountainhorse
If you are talking about the YELLOW (aka Amber) turnsignals... ALL bulbs flicker at startup for me...

I settled on this one from LasFit
https://www.lasfit.com/collections/1...bus-error-free

I've tried quite a few of the others LED bulbs... all gave error codes.

These do not give any error, do not need resistors.... and ECLIPSE (brightness) any other bulb I've tried for turn/hazard... Morimoto and other quality brands don't even come close. (and no... I don't work for these guys NOR sell any car products)

I do not mind the bulb check flashes that the mini runs through on start up.... That happens for a second or two...I can live with that. (seems like I can code it out too??)
There is NO other flickering of these bulbs.

They claim 2600 lumens... and, I believe them.
I like having these in especially for hazard situations... they catch your attention... turning too.

Expensive, but worth the money IMO.

There are others that are selling a similar/identical bulb... all pricey, but I know this one works VERY well in my 2011 R56.

ECS... You should look into finding/selling these bulbs on your site ... I'd buy from you.

Thanks Pal! Just ordered these along with other lights to correct flicking. I appreciate the help!

mountainhorse (02-06-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 08:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Thanks! I will see if we can get some and test them first. We have the neochrome bulbs that flash amber in a standard element.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172