R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Would A Bigger Downpipe Cause a CEL if I have an ECU Piggyback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 01:23 PM
Micah Kezar
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would A Bigger Downpipe Cause a CEL if I have an ECU Piggyback?

Hi, So I have a 2011 R56 S with an intake, catback with a res delete, and an NM Power Module ECU Piggyback. Ever since the Mini Dealer did a software update, my pops and bangs haven't been nearly as loud. I was looking at bigger downpipes but read they'll throw a CEL if they don't have an ECU Flash. Will an ECU Piggyback work in place for an actual ECU Flash?

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:16 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You need to lose that NM Module! With all this info on this forum, you can have a better more proper, and more controllable tune using RPM software on your ECU. It can control throttle input, pops and bangs, boost, and can HIDE the CEL on your dash if you were to get an aftermarket downpipe. The reason for the CEL is not necessarily because the pipe is bigger but due to not having the proper O2 sensor on it. None of them come with it and a straight downpipe is best bet to have anyway to get the most out of your tune. You may want to rethink what you using and go with the majority of what folks are talking about that works. I searched on this forum about every single part before I purchased it and there is horror stories on some things and success stories on others. Pick the right parts and know who to get them from you'll have a headache free upgrade!