R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Halogen headlights with HID bulbs on stock HID Mini

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 11:30 AM
MiniC4u
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Halogen headlights with HID bulbs on stock HID Mini

Hello guys,
First time here and first time mini owner. I have an 07 R56 manual. I bought it with a frontal damage and I I've been replacing the parts.

Right now I'm in between buying used stock HID headlights (mine are destroyed) for $300-400. Or buy nice aftermarket ones with DRLs for about de same price $300-400.

The problem is that I havent found a certain model that goes with my stock HID car that I like. I've seen others that they say that are only for halogen models and others that say that come with the HID bulbs and ballast included but also for Halo models.

I saw while I was in my search that someone had put Halo model headlights on an HID model R52 convertible but he said that he lots the HIDs (of course). My question is can I do the same if they have the same plug, but buying the ones that come with the HID bulbs and ballasts?

Let me know... thanks ind advance and sorry if it's too long

Links below for both Halo and Halo with HIDs and also the comment from the person with the R52.

Halo with HIDs:
https://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe07micoh3.html

Regular Halo:
https://www.protuninglab.com/2lhp-mini06g-v2-tm.html

Post with the R52 wrote this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0736CZ6H8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_E6cuEb8KF1FN3

These DO fit if you have HID!!! (details in review)
First and foremost, I have a 2008 Mini Cooper S Convertible. It had the factory Xenon HID headlamps. The description and picture says they do NOT fit, but the fact is that it does. You will lose your Xenon headlights in the process (I personally HATE Xenon Headlights), but the Halogens will work just fine and includes low beam and high beam functionality.

That out of the way, these fit exactly as they should. There is NOT instructions on how to install, but a simple YouTube search solved that problem. As for the Xenon aspect - Your factory wiring harness that plugs into your OEM housing is what powers the Xenon, they are not on a separate wire. If you simply remove the housing and unplug the OEM wiring harness, you will find that it will plug directly into this unit and your headlights will function as normal.

Installation if a pain in the rear if you have the headlight washer part. Again, YoutTube for the video if you have the R52 version and it covers the stupid clip that you need to press then pull. This isn't the fault of the headlights, it's a Mini thing.

All in all I am VERY pleased with the look and quality of these. They fit exactly perfectly and lined up exactly to the OEM holes for securing them in. They come with the lights required as well. The only thing that confused me was the HALO wiring, which I opted not to hook up at this time.