R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2012 Automatic Mini Cooper Hose Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 11:41 PM
wstcstctygrl@gmail.com
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Automatic Mini Cooper Hose Leak

I am going to preface this by saying I know very little about cars, that’s why I’m hear. I got burned by a mechanic last month who charged me a hefty sum and I’m not sure he fixed my issue (or fixed it completely) so as I look to go to another mechanic I’d like to be better prepared and know what’s going on. My car overheated last month (catching me off guard as it had been running fine and checked out fine at my last oil change). Said mechanic changed the water pump. Thursday, not even a month after I noticed fluid leaking from my car after it hadn’t been driven in about 20 hours. I popped the house and discovered an oily clear fluid leaking from the temperature sensor elbow. (My sensor was moved as part of the recall to the temperature housing - as I understand it.). The sensor looked a little corroded and I couldn’t tell if the leak was through the sensor or just on the adjoining hose(s). I’m guessing these hoses need to be replaced. Do they not just do a single hose if the sensor is no longer needed? It seems that elbow juncture is a weak design, so if a single hose is an option I’d prefer that (what would that be called)? What do I tell a mechanic needs replacing (I no longer live near a dealer, so I’m going to have to call around to find someone who can do it). What should I expect it to cost?

thank you in advance! Picture of elbow, leak is underneath and pick of evidence leak on the ??? (Transmission???)...and of the sensor that seems a bit corroded.

Leak is on the underside of this elbow and/or the hoses.

Sensor seemed a bit corroded.

Deposit from leak.

Upside down photo of deposit from when I was trying to figure out where leak was coming from.