R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Divert Valve N18

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 06:46 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Divert Valve N18

Hello.
I want to upgrade/change my divert valve(i dont want blow off valve)..We all know that this thing isnt working as it should be.
Im in between the DV from Forge or the DV for GFB..
My motor is JCW N18 and it will be tuned very carefully for 280-300ps.
Should i choose one or another?
Any other suggestions?I only do care of the quality..

Thank you guys.!

Old 02-25-2020, 07:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
We have forge one and the GFB are good. Both are quality so in this case its one brand over the other. https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-...Turbocharger/6

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
Staxtis (02-26-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 07:55 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I would go with the Forge as you can change the spring later depending on your tuning and make it hold more boost. I've been using these for years and they work great.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...valve-n18.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

The following users liked this post:
Staxtis (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 01:16 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Thank you both for your reply.
I know that Forge is a solid solution for the last 5-10 years but i was thinking if GFB which is new if it does have any PROS against Forge. Because it has been released later than the forge and also because of that might work "better" with N18 because DV from Forge designed even before the N18 Engine.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:49 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Staxtis
Thank you both for your reply.
I know that Forge is a solid solution for the last 5-10 years but i was thinking if GFB which is new if it does have any PROS against Forge. Because it has been released later than the forge and also because of that might work "better" with N18 because DV from Forge designed even before the N18 Engine.
the GFB has been out for years also and we have used both so I wouldn't consider it new to the market. It took them longer as they had to redesign it to fit the N18 turbo.

The N18 Forge valve actually uses a different spring setup and is all different parts than the N14 Forge kit, so it was specifically designed for the N18.

Talking about New kids on the block the Turbosmart is the newest one around that we still need to install more to see how good it is compared to the Forge.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/turbos...bov-valve.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 02-27-2020, 01:02 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
the GFB has been out for years also and we have used both so I wouldn't consider it new to the market. It took them longer as they had to redesign it to fit the N18 turbo.

The N18 Forge valve actually uses a different spring setup and is all different parts than the N14 Forge kit, so it was specifically designed for the N18.

Talking about New kids on the block the Turbosmart is the newest one around that we still need to install more to see how good it is compared to the Forge.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/turbos...bov-valve.html
Thank you for the info..According the turbosmart when i looked that product 1st thing you see is Blow OFF valve and not a "closed" version(Divert Valve). What is the benefit(according pappers/theory) of the turbosmart regarding all the other competitors ? Forge/GFB etc...Is there anything difference according structure/way it works...
I understand that you cannot come to a conclusion since you havent tested enough yet. Just an estimate and your personal review agains other brands.
Thank you in advance!

Old 02-27-2020, 08:13 AM
Kyoungjr17
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a slightly used forge diverter valve for sale if youre interested pm me. n18

Old 02-27-2020, 05:13 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I just used the updated OEM diverter valve (the one without the diaphragm that rips) with the Alta spring insert. I have zero issues with it, tuned stage 3 with a 43mm turbo making in the ~270hp range. I also run the Forge BOV spacer with it but that's purely for noise and adds no performance benefit.

Note that if you have a manual transmission the N18 GFB DV+ won't work for you. The way they want you to mount it out of the box will interfere with the shifter linkages, and they outright say it won't work with a manual trans. I've made it work on a friend's car but it involved drilling a new hole in the GFB mounting bracket and mounting it upside down onto the bracket that the O2 sensor wire gets clipped to.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:20 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 571 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by thebombardier
I just used the updated OEM diverter valve (the one without the diaphragm that rips) with the Alta spring insert. I have zero issues with it, tuned stage 3 with a 43mm turbo making in the ~270hp range. I also run the Forge BOV spacer with it but that's purely for noise and adds no performance benefit.

Note that if you have a manual transmission the N18 GFB DV+ won't work for you. The way they want you to mount it out of the box will interfere with the shifter linkages, and they outright say it won't work with a manual trans. I've made it work on a friend's car but it involved drilling a new hole in the GFB mounting bracket and mounting it upside down onto the bracket that the O2 sensor wire gets clipped to.
I’m running similar setup, upgraded dv, Alta spring, knock off spacer from eBay, no issues, holds solid boost, and of course the pssst sound. I have n14 stock turbo.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:31 PM
Staxtis
3rd Gear

That was such a good info for me friend.
Thank you so much..I will proceed with the DV from Forge then.
Cheers.

Originally Posted by Kyoungjr17
i have a slightly used forge diverter valve for sale if youre interested pm me. n18
Let me know the price and where are you located..

Old 03-12-2020, 12:46 PM
mattiemo
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is no longer true. I installed mine in my 12 n18 manual trans. No modification needed. There are instructions that came with the DV+ for manual trans.
I installed it last winter.
Just an FYI
https://gfb.com.au/performance-parts...ic-and-manual/

Last edited by mattiemo; 03-12-2020 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added GFB link
Old 03-12-2020, 03:45 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by mattiemo
This is no longer true. I installed mine in my 12 n18 manual trans. No modification needed. There are instructions that came with the DV+ for manual trans.
I installed it last winter.
Just an FYI
https://gfb.com.au/performance-parts...ic-and-manual/
My friend must have gotten a NOS one then, because we followed the directions and ran into that issue. Good to know they fixed it though