R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Wrecked by a Dump Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 03:19 PM
pluffmud
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wrecked by a Dump Truck

Over the weekend a dump truck decided to change lanes and occupy the spot I was in without checking to see if the seat was already taken - that's his bloody tire impression in the pic.

Appraiser came today (independent contractor - he will forward his report to their insurance company). He estimates around 3000.00 in labor for the door and quarter panel + parts, so I'm guessing around 4500.00 or so to fix. Given those numbers, the ins. company will likely try to total it, as NADA and Kelley value is around 3500.00. It goes to the body shop for an estimate March 4.

Having never been in a totaled out accident, a couple of questions for anyone who has been through the insurance two step:

1. I have been reading you can challenge the ins. company's decision to total the car - given that she is running perfectly, I would like to keep it. Anyone been through that?

2. Quarter panel I would not attempt - I imagine I can figure out how to replace a door myself. Any hidden headaches in that procedure?

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2020, 04:44 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Was me, I'd go for it totaled. Given the car is about 13 years old, might be time to replace on someone elses dime.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:21 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
The ins company will establish a 'salvage value' that you can re-buy the car for. If the floor of the car isn't damaged, I think they can pull that quarter panel back out.

My truck was dented worse & they were able to pull it straight.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Lancaster
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
So sorry. Looks very superficial to me. I would spend a weekend getting a door from the scrapyard and pocket the rest... Actually, my son and I are looking for a Lemons racer as a father-son project. So in all actuality, I offer you $500 for her. You can pocket the rest of the insurance cash and you are welcome to be an honorable member of the Lemons pit crew!

The following users liked this post:
Andy_S (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 04:30 AM
pluffmud
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Lancaster
So sorry. Looks very superficial to me. I would spend a weekend getting a door from the scrapyard and pocket the rest... Actually, my son and I are looking for a Lemons racer as a father-son project. So in all actuality, I offer you $500 for her. You can pocket the rest of the insurance cash and you are welcome to be an honorable member of the Lemons pit crew!
Hahaha - well, thanks. My issue is I have spent quite a bit making the car mechanically excellent - I have learned that is a valid negotiating point with the insurance company to raise the amount they will pay if they total the car.

The way it works in S.C. is if the damage repair is estimated to be over 75% of the value of the car, the ins. company can declare it a total loss, cut me a check for the value, and take the car.
If I decide to keep the totaled car, they will deduct the salvage value from the amount they pay me.

I do not want a salvage/branded title - makes it difficult to keep comprehensive insurance on the car but I may have no choice.

As my wife loves this car, the way I see it I can hopefully get the in. company to value the car at around 4500.00 - say they deduct 1000.00 for salvage value, that leaves me with 3500.00. If I can get it repaired for 4500.00 I'm only out pocket around 1000.00 and I have a Mini I know is mechanically sound. It will have a branded title, but as long as my ins. rates don't go up I guess I can live with it.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:48 AM
pluffmud
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidogger
The ins company will establish a 'salvage value' that you can re-buy the car for. If the floor of the car isn't damaged, I think they can pull that quarter panel back out.

My truck was dented worse & they were able to pull it straight.
Thanks, that's prob the route I'm going. I have a buddy who is a service writer at a collision center up the coast in Myrtle Beach - once I come to an agreement with the ins. company I'll prob. run it up there and get him to fix her up.

I need to look in to the whole salvage title designation thing - I should not have to live with a salvage title simply because it costs the ins. company more than the value to repair and the car is repairable to safe condition.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:00 AM
MacMini34
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pluffmud
Thanks, that's prob the route I'm going. I have a buddy who is a service writer at a collision center up the coast in Myrtle Beach - once I come to an agreement with the ins. company I'll prob. run it up there and get him to fix her up.

I need to look in to the whole salvage title designation thing - I should not have to live with a salvage title simply because it costs the ins. company more than the value to repair and the car is repairable to safe condition.
Insurance companies don't have the emotional attachment we have to our cars so for them it's a straightforward transaction. If it will cost more to fix than the car's value they'll total it. However, I wouldn't worry too much about a salvage title if it works out in your favor to buy back and repair as it's a 13 year old car near the bottom of its depreciation curve. Keeping records of the damage and repairs means you may still get a reasonable price if you decide to sell in a few years, particularly as you have longevity of ownership and good maintenance records. Also showing that you kept it for a few years after the crash shows you had faith in it.

Best
macmini34

Old 02-29-2020, 05:31 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
Off topic:

In Germany, if the damage is up to 130% of the (pre-damage) value, the owner can insist on either having the car repaired or cashing in the damages (minus VAT if s/he chooses to not repair it themselves).