R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cranks but won't start {SOLVED}

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 08:10 AM
atraxxia
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranks but won't start {SOLVED}

Hello everyone,
My wife and I bought a 2007 Mini Cooper S two years ago. We love the car. The only downside is that it is a great car to improve my skills in mechanics... There is always something going on with this car !
I have been checking this forum regularly to solve issues and I figured I would share today my last experience with the car.

So, the context is that we let the car outside for more than a month in the cold without using it. When I tried to start the engine, it cranked but didn't start. Fuses / relays were ok. Voltage of the battery was around 12V at rest. I cranked the engine many times to try to diagnose every single spark plug + ignition coil. Everything seemed ok. I Ultimately flooded the engine. Indeed, the spark plugs were wet and there was no compression, which made no sense because the car was working perfectly fine the last time we drove it, a month ago. I decided to blow out the excess of fuel and to fully recharge the battery. After a lot of struggle and installing the recharged battery, the car started right up.

The bottom line based on this experience is that a discharged battery may be strong enough to inject fuel but won’t be strong enough to create a proper spark.

Has anyone experienced it before ?