R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Short shifter.... recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 03:24 PM
no1stunner
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
R56 Short shifter.... recommendations?

Hi guys. I was looking for input on short shifters. I have read some older posts and I'm looking for some updated opinions. I have a 2011 r56, 100% stock. I'm looking for one thing, maximum reduction in throw. I believe I have narrowed my options down to two. Helix and tyrol. These two seem to have the shortest reduction. The tyrol says up to 40%. I don't know what the Helix reduction percent is but it says that it's the most of any product on the Internet (does anyone know the % reduction?).
​​​​
Helix
http://store.helix13.com/helix-short-shift-kit/

Tyrol (this one is confusing because it says it does not fit my car but then further down says it does)
https://www.urotuning.com/products/t...CABEgLHT_D_BwE

I looked at the cravenspeed option and I'm not particularly impressed by the throw reduction. I saw a video of someone going through the gears and it's looks way too long of a throw to me. It is advertised as the least throw reduction of the other two I believe.

So to summarize...what is the Helix % reduction? Will the tyrol fit my car? Which has more reduction? Any other short shifters I should consider? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2020, 01:03 PM
Altecfenix
2nd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
The Helix is always a good choice of price to performance at 37% reduction, and will keep the stock height on the shifter.

It looks like the Tyrol has a similar effect, though I don't have any experience with them as a brand. Hopefully there is another MININac that can jump in with some experience.

Of course our shifter here at CravenSpeed is adjustable from stock to a 42% reduction of throw, which also changes the height of the shift ****.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-20-2020, 01:08 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,476 Posts
The Cravenspeed will reduce the height AND throw, if you're looking for the shortest shifter. But, you will have to disassemble your shifter box to swap it in.

The Tyrol will require you to change the actual linkage on the gearbox. It will be a simpler install compared to the Cravenspeed, but still involved.

To get the absolute shortest shift, you could (in theory) combine both the Cravenspeed and Tyrol shifters. However, it is possible to go too short...

The following 2 users liked this post by njaremka:
Altecfenix (04-20-2020), DGI (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Altecfenix
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
To get the absolute shortest shift, you could (in theory) combine both the Cravenspeed and Tyrol shifters. However, it is possible to go too short...
Oh man we had someone use our shifter with a Forge SSK, which is like the Tyrol one, on an F56, absolutely nutty. It is possible to go too short, though the adjustability does help find that sweet spot if you want to go after it.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:28 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by no1stunner
Hi guys. I was looking for input on short shifters. I have read some older posts and I'm looking for some updated opinions. I have a 2011 r56, 100% stock. I'm looking for one thing, maximum reduction in throw. I believe I have narrowed my options down to two. Helix and tyrol. These two seem to have the shortest reduction. The tyrol says up to 40%. I don't know what the Helix reduction percent is but it says that it's the most of any product on the Internet (does anyone know the % reduction?).
​​​​
Helix
http://store.helix13.com/helix-short-shift-kit/

Tyrol (this one is confusing because it says it does not fit my car but then further down says it does)
https://www.urotuning.com/products/t...CABEgLHT_D_BwE

I looked at the cravenspeed option and I'm not particularly impressed by the throw reduction. I saw a video of someone going through the gears and it's looks way too long of a throw to me. It is advertised as the least throw reduction of the other two I believe.

So to summarize...what is the Helix % reduction? Will the tyrol fit my car? Which has more reduction? Any other short shifters I should consider? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
I myself have the Helix short shifter. Worked very well to reduce the throw, especially since I replaced my **** with a 7" handle. Be wary though, you may want to have a spare shift cable on hand. I broke mine trying to release the ball joint from the bottom of the shift lever to install the Helix adapter. You also need to bend the stock shift cable at the shifter end to fit the Helix adapter, and it's possible to over bend it, break it, or bend it in the wrong spot and bind it.

Also, if you are looking for the absolute shortest shifter available, you could get the Coolerworx or CAE shifters. Though the price tag on those is a bit high and you need to hack up your center console to install it lol. But a friend of mine had one and the 3 to 4 motion no joke felt like less than 2 inches.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:51 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Had the helix adapter and i liked the shorter throws/higher effort. Now have the NM eng adapter (basically the same thing as the Helix) plus the bigger shift cover and works great. Did not have to bend the shift cable for the nm adapter. But only 20% stated decrease in throw so perhaps significant enough you would notice the difference between that and 40%. NM feels like a good balance between shorter throws and higher effort for me.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:13 PM
no1stunner
1st Gear
Hey thanks for the Info. I contacted tyrol and unfortunately that setup wont work on my year car. So I will consider the cravenpeed and helix. I didnt know the cravenspeed was a 40-42% reduction.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:13 PM
no1stunner
1st Gear
If I get a helix or cravenspeed can I use this cover?
https://www.urotuning.com/products/n...saAv_sEALw_wcB

The following users liked this post:
Altecfenix (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Altecfenix
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by no1stunner
If I get a helix or cravenspeed can I use this cover?
https://www.urotuning.com/products/n...saAv_sEALw_wcB
You totally can, though it's not entirely necessary to have one. The heat shield being so close makes it hard for debris to get up there.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:42 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I've personally installed all the different brands of short shifters and can tell you hands down I like the Craven the best. I use it in both my GP and daily Clubman. Trust me when I say it will reduce the throw more than enough. I actually have mine adjusted just to have a little shorter throw just to crisp up the feel as that was what I wanted the most. But you can for sure adjust it down way more that it IMO is too short of throw.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/craven...5-r56-r57.html

If you don't want to go that way my second choice would be Helix as it will shorten up the throw and is cost effective, just wish it was adjustable.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/helix-...shift-kit.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

The following users liked this post:
Altecfenix (04-21-2020)