R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 DME Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 05:25 PM
dcwang3
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DME Issues

Was having issues with no throttle response when turning on the car. Check engine light came on and scanned for codes, found that it was giving me DME Internal Fault. The dealership wasn't 100% sure what was going on but wanted to reprogram the DME first to see if that fixed the problem rather than spending 2700 bucks for something that may or may not work. Couple of weeks later, had the same throttle response issue.

I decided to find a place that would test the DME. With me being an engineering, I wanted to know exactly what was causing the issue before dumping a bunch of money without 100% knowing the root cause. They diagnosed that it was a power supply issue (common) and that it would be challenging to repair. They recommended a refurbished one and reprogramming it. Well, I got it back, installed it, the car turns on without the original issue but the check engine light comes on and throws two codes that weren't there previously. I cleared the codes and it came back immediately.

3099: No message EGS, receiver DME, transmitter EGS.
D372: No DSC message (PT_CAN_ST_SW_CLT ID: 0x0A8), transmitter Digital Engine Electronics

The first one mentions the EGS which is a transmission control module, but I have a manual, so there shouldn't be an EGS in the car.
The second one, I have no clue what that would be.

Any ideas why these are coming up especially since the original DME didn't experience these issues? Possibly a software version problem or coding problem?

Old 07-01-2020, 07:00 AM
KP Tuning Solutions
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When the DME is damaged internally, which sounds like the case; it can be really challenging to fix. You could probably send the DME off for repair but if there’s a short in the board or some sort of power supply issue like the dealership mentioned, 9/10 times it will be cheaper and easier to just get a refurbished one and have it programmed to the car. You could endlessly chase trouble codes that make absolutely no sense with a faulty DME.

Are the trouble codes you’re getting now on the refurbished one? Or the old one? Also any chance that DME was from a car with an auto trans?

Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 AM
dcwang3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KP Tuning Solutions
When the DME is damaged internally, which sounds like the case; it can be really challenging to fix. You could probably send the DME off for repair but if there’s a short in the board or some sort of power supply issue like the dealership mentioned, 9/10 times it will be cheaper and easier to just get a refurbished one and have it programmed to the car. You could endlessly chase trouble codes that make absolutely no sense with a faulty DME.

Are the trouble codes you’re getting now on the refurbished one? Or the old one? Also any chance that DME was from a car with an auto trans?

I did get a refurbished one from the company that tested the DME and diagnosed it as a power supply issue. The fault codes above are from the refurbished unit. I have no clue whether the DME was from an auto trans. I asked about the EGS code and the vendor mentioned that “It was cloned correctly for the manual transmission as it is part of the VO (vehicle order within the cas). It is very unlikely that it some how learnt or remembered EGS coding for some reason”

I dont see how the DME would be different for auto versus manual, I would expect the software/firmware to be different as they typically try and make hardware as common as possible.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:57 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
All of these components communicate with each other. The ECU from a manual and Auto can have the same part number and work properly on their prospective host. The ECU they used must've come from an automatic transmission host. In the grand scheme of things, this is not a big deal. To get this resolved, you need to clear the "variables". Toolset32 is the only program, I know, that can do it.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:38 PM
dcwang3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
All of these components communicate with each other. The ECU from a manual and Auto can have the same part number and work properly on their prospective host. The ECU they used must've come from an automatic transmission host. In the grand scheme of things, this is not a big deal. To get this resolved, you need to clear the "variables". Toolset32 is the only program, I know, that can do it.
hmmm ok, I’ll have to talk to the vendor about that.

how about any insights on the no DSC message fault?

Old 07-01-2020, 02:08 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
it might be related to EGS msg.

The terms was "Variants" not Variables..I'm getting old lol

Old 07-01-2020, 02:35 PM
dcwang3
1st Gear
To remove the Variants, does that require a full DME erase and then a reprogram. I think they did a clone from my original DME so maybe not all these software “variants” you mention of didn’t get wiped out of the refurbished unit?

Old 07-01-2020, 03:05 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dcwang3
To remove the Variants, does that require a full DME erase and then a reprogram. I think they did a clone from my original DME so maybe not all these software “variants” you mention of didn’t get wiped out of the refurbished unit?
No reprogramming. it takes less than 2 minutes. check toolset32....where are you located, i might be able to help or if you have the sw we can teamview.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:29 PM
dcwang3
1st Gear
Thanks for the offer but I do not have the software and unfortunately I do not have a windows machine (mac OS X only). I guess maybe I’ll have to look into getting an INPA setup for all that.

I assume the dealership should be able to do that?

at least the car seems to work fine, I drove it around with no performance issues, unlike my original DME issue where it would have no throttle response randomly.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:37 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
the car will drive fine, but I think it will trigger the CEL.

you can for sure call the dealer and see what they say OR see if anyone around you has it. FB groups might be a resource and such.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:50 AM
gemstone
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
No reprogramming. it takes less than 2 minutes. check toolset32....where are you located, i might be able to help or if you have the sw we can teamview.
Hi, I have the same problem with the same two codes after a DME clone:

D372: No DSC message (PT_CAN_ST_SW_CLT ID: 0x0A8), transmitter Digital Engine Electronics

I have the software and I also have teamviewer. Will you be able to help me fix this problem? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Old 05-24-2022, 05:58 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gemstone
Hi, I have the same problem with the same two codes after a DME clone:

I have the software and I also have teamviewer. Will you be able to help me fix this problem? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you
I sent you a PM.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:19 AM
Mauker33
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EGS codes

Hello all... has this been resolved? I am having a similar EGS codes issue.. I put a cloned DME (from auto r56) in an R55... cleared all adapts and variants with ISTA+... now have no throttle... for the life of me I can not figure out how to get the throttle valve taught-in or re-learned... ISTA shows good communication and actuation on the sensors on both the throttle valve and the throttle pedal... i am at a loss