R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini FRM Module Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 05:33 AM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Mini FRM Module Recall

I was doing some research last week and stumbled across a recall for our Mini Cooper S that I wasn't aware of. Apparently they have recalled these cars to inspect and possibly replace the Footwell modules due to corrosion. Quite odd that they didn't send me a letter or e-mail to advise me but once I asked if there were any recalls they said yes bring her in. It seems that the modules corrode due to leaky sunroofs with plugged drains and or just because they are subjected to salt and snow for the folks driving in winter climes.

So here I sit at the dealer while they have a gander at my corroded module which I know is bad and I had been planning to replace it. Hopefully be back on the road with a new module here soon!

So check it out! You may get a free module for your mini too!

The following 2 users liked this post by NB Cooper:
302Vernon (08-15-2024), Dan Le (12-15-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 03:31 PM
minimesd
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know the outcome. I think my FRM also needs to be replaced.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:09 PM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
They change it for free! Now we have working interior lights again.....woohoo

I also have the clubman going in for the same recall so it may get one too.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:03 AM
banman
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Can someone post a link to this warranty recall. Is this ALL of NA or only Canada?
We've owned our 2013 MCS since new and have never been notified or any recalls or extended warranties...

Old 03-30-2021, 10:30 AM
Apexhunter
Neutral
FRM Warranty

Originally Posted by banman
Can someone post a link to this warranty recall. Is this ALL of NA or only Canada?
We've owned our 2013 MCS since new and have never been notified or any recalls or extended warranties...
Mine went bad after trying to change my dead battery. The dealer said the recall had ended for my car. I found a mechanic in California who would reprogram my FRM for only $75. I sent it to him and got it back in three days. Everything works great

Old 03-31-2021, 05:15 AM
crazy4trains
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Apexhunter
Mine went bad after trying to change my dead battery. The dealer said the recall had ended for my car. I found a mechanic in California who would reprogram my FRM for only $75. I sent it to him and got it back in three days. Everything works great
Recalls don't end. They are safety related and don't go away after any amount of time. This must be a Technical Service Bulletin or a type of goodwill repair.

The following 2 users liked this post by crazy4trains:
302Vernon (08-15-2024), 930 Engineering (08-15-2024)
Old 03-31-2021, 06:51 AM
banman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by crazy4trains
Recalls don't end. They are safety related and don't go away after any amount of time. This must be a Technical Service Bulletin or a type of goodwill repair.
Correct.
This is an extended warranty of the FRM, now extended to 10 years and 150k miles.
But it seems they only cover certain failure modes...

Old 01-10-2022, 04:39 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
So I have a 2008 MCS. I only have 105k so I’m under on the mileage requirement, but I guess I’m over on the 10 years? Wonder what my chances are at getting a good will repair from MIni? Any one had any success with getting the FRM covered or comped/partially comped past the 10 years?

My car is showing all the signs of a problem FRM.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:48 AM
banman
2nd Gear
I will say that at least the despicable thieves at the BMW/MINI of Columbus OH were honest enough to tell me on the phone that (I para-phrase now) "yes, your FRM is covered by this extended warranty, however if we find signs of corrosion on the FRM or wiring THEN IT'S NOT COVERED by warranty and was going to cost ~ $2000 to replace/reprogram!!!

Needless to say I exposed the part first to check for corrosion and of course it was corroded -- the sun-roof-drain-failure mode dumps water straight into the FRM! Even if it didn't, in a humid place like OH with the carpet padding being a sponge which lays up against the FRM you're sure to wick water up to the cable connections anyway...

Find a reasonable independent shop or plan to do it yourself. You can order a preprogramed (for your car) unit from ebay for pretty cheap...

Old 01-11-2022, 10:09 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,860 Posts
Info here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...47573-9999.pdf

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...stage-1-a.html 2018 extension Thats all the info i found, thanks for the info on the FRM corrosion. I got my letter in the mail back in the day in 2018.

https://www.miniusa.com/owners/tools...rt/recall.html here is where you enter to find out

Always clean those sunroof tubes and check to make sure the water is not on the floor.

Sunroof drains check and fix. Fix Kit: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...51738197504kt/

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-footwell.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 05-26-2023 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (08-15-2024)
Old 01-11-2022, 01:19 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
Thanks for those links!! I've done the sunroof tube clamps years ago, so long ago that I had completely forgotten about that!

I removed the FRM this morning (took all of about 5 minutes!), boxed it up, and sent it to ECU Pro for a diagnostic and repair. I live 60 minutes away from the nearest MINI dealer or independent shop, so this was a lot less hassle. Will likely be less expensive as well, since I would have been amazed if MINI would cover it. I haven't found any postings where someone had luck getting them to extend much beyond the 10 years on the warranty extension.

Last edited by leftfield6; 02-02-2022 at 06:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by leftfield6:
930 Engineering (08-15-2024), ECSTuning (01-12-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 02:26 PM
colstein
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Lights stay once FRM removed

Hi All! In the process of fixing my FRM as well on 2011 Hatchback. Rather than replacing it completely I'm going to send it to Bimmerscan in CA to see what they can do with reprogramming the chip/board. If that doesn't work, I'll fork over the money to replace it entirely.

In the meantime, though, I've just removed the FRM from the car and after doing so the dashboard lights will not shut off. I'm worried the battery may drain a bit while the FRM is being worked on. Has anyone else had this problem with dash lights staying on? I wonder if I should just disconnect the battery for now....?

Old 01-17-2022, 12:33 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
I pulled my FRM a few days ago and sent in to ECU Pro for a diagnostic. It was not something they could repair, so they are sending me a "cloned" FRM for a total of $499 including the diagnostic. The say the one they send me is "cloned", so it should be plug and play with no recoding needed.

Last edited by leftfield6; 02-02-2022 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:34 PM
leftfield6
2nd Gear
@colstein I would disconnect the battery, for sure. I have mine disconnected until my replacement FRM gets here.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:45 AM
basslinejme
Neutral
Originally Posted by NB Cooper
I was doing some research last week and stumbled across a recall for our Mini Cooper S that I wasn't aware of. Apparently they have recalled these cars to inspect and possibly replace the Footwell modules due to corrosion. Quite odd that they didn't send me a letter or e-mail to advise me but once I asked if there were any recalls they said yes bring her in. It seems that the modules corrode due to leaky sunroofs with plugged drains and or just because they are subjected to salt and snow for the folks driving in winter climes.

So here I sit at the dealer while they have a gander at my corroded module which I know is bad and I had been planning to replace it. Hopefully be back on the road with a new module here soon!

yeah I called them when I was aware of the recall- it only became available on may 15 and you needed to be registered to get a notice when they fix the problem and then you can bring it to a mini dealership and get it fixed for free. But they haven’t solved it yet but the person I spoke to said they had to resolve it

Old 08-15-2024, 01:03 PM
302Vernon
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NB Cooper

my recall came out for my 2010 R56 mid 2023 for the footwell Module. It's been. Over a year now and Mini is "still working on a resolution."

Old 08-15-2024, 01:58 PM
JAMADOR
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
No open recalls on my R57 when I run the VIN through the Mini site, but pretty sure I have some FRM issues.
Probably have to bite the bullet & shell the $ to replace/program it.

Old 08-16-2024, 05:13 PM
stuck_in_the_desert
Neutral
No recalls open for my 2013 R56 JCW but I'm throwing multiple FRM-related fault codes, even though my adaptive lights and turn signals and whatnot are all actually functioning just fine as far as I can tell. For the time being, I'll clear the codes and see if they pop back up anytime soon, but it's good to know that there are services out there like ECU Pro, eBay, etc. so I can avoid the stealership if worse comes to worst.

Scan results:

Driver's side footwell module FRM 8
  1. 9CBF FRM: Communication with step motor controller on the left disrupted
  2. 9CC0 FRM: Communication with step motor controller on the right disrupted
  3. A8AA FRM: Dipped beam, left, faulty
  4. A8AB FRM: Dipped beam, right, faulty
  5. A8B0 FRM: Direction indicator, front left, faulty
  6. A8B1 FRM: Direction indicator, front right, faulty
  7. A8BB FRM: MINI: Side marker light at front left or rear right faulty
  8. A8BD FRM: Number-plate light faulty
That last one might actually be legit, but I really couldn't care less about illuminating my license plate.

Old 08-16-2024, 05:52 PM
JAMADOR
2nd Gear
I got quoted [local indy shop] just shy of $1k to replace & program a new FRM

Old 08-16-2024, 06:16 PM
stuck_in_the_desert
Neutral
Woof.

I haven't used them (...yet) but The ECU Pro is saying $250 for diagnosis and repair or $499 for a refurbished, programmed replacement if it can't be repaired. You ship to them and they eat the return shipping. Still more than I'm particularly comfortable with, but hey it's not like I bought an R56 because I was super attached to having money...

eBay seems to be anywhere between $150 and $1500 for my FRM (#61356827073) all without programming and probably taken from salvage/junkyard donors around the world. ECS has it new for $550 or refurbished for $400, both without programming.

Try RealOEM with the last 7 of your VIN to find your specific FRM and what other part numbers might apply to the same component, and maybe you can find it for less than what you were quoted (I found mine under "Vehicle electrical system" --> "Control units, modules, sensors" --> "Control unit, footwell module")

Old 08-16-2024, 06:21 PM
JAMADOR
2nd Gear
Thanks. I've got another local shop that said they'd program it for 1hr labor @ 160/hr, if I provide an OE FRM.
the prior shop would only do it if they provide the FRM.

Old 08-17-2024, 05:53 PM
JAMADOR
2nd Gear
Anyone have a quickie guide on getting to the FRM?
I've seen that it's ahead of the hood release, but does the entire panel have to be removed to get to it?
Also, does the FRM control retracting the top [R57]? I've got window & 'sunroof' control, but the top wont retract.

Old 08-17-2024, 06:16 PM
Maybe, maybe not
4th Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
retract

Old 08-17-2024, 06:23 PM
Maybe, maybe not
4th Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by JAMADOR
Also, does the FRM control retracting the top [R57]?
No, the convertible top has its own dedicated control module.

FRM removal

Last edited by Maybe, maybe not; 08-17-2024 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JAMADOR (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 06:29 PM
JAMADOR
2nd Gear
Ok, thanks. Weird that it's not wanting to work, when it was before, but the windows were inop when the FRM decided to act up.

Quick Reply: R56 Mini FRM Module Recall