R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 electrical issues - hazards and lighting - need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 04:07 PM
mpoo83
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
electrical issues - hazards and lighting - need help

So a short story, this was my daily driver/fun car. I have been working from home since March with all this covid stuff, and really only drove the car maybe 5 times since mid April. I drove the car the other day, and all was fine, minus a low battery indicator when I started the car. The next day I'm in my garage, and the headlights and hazard lights randomly turned on. They turned off by themselves within 5 minutes or so. This is continuing to happen. Car is off, hazards and all rear lights are on and accent lights above the seat belts are on. If I start the car, only the hazards and interior accent lights stay on. The hazard switch turned the lights off maybe 2 times, but usually doesn't work. Sometimes they turn off within 5 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, and longer. I'm at a loss on this one. I've tried searching the forums, and google for that matter, but don't see anything like this. Anyone have any input or idea where to start? All other controls in the car work fine, windows, hvac, radio, everything. Thank you all.

Also, after further research, could the footwell module have caused this???

Side note, I did list the car for sale locally since I just don't drive it anymore right now, so maybe she is a bit pissed off at me???

Last edited by mpoo83; 09-02-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:53 PM
gresh
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mpoo83
So a short story, this was my daily driver/fun car. I have been working from home since March with all this covid stuff, and really only drove the car maybe 5 times since mid April. I drove the car the other day, and all was fine, minus a low battery indicator when I started the car. The next day I'm in my garage, and the headlights and hazard lights randomly turned on. They turned off by themselves within 5 minutes or so. This is continuing to happen. Car is off, hazards and all rear lights are on and accent lights above the seat belts are on. If I start the car, only the hazards and interior accent lights stay on. The hazard switch turned the lights off maybe 2 times, but usually doesn't work. Sometimes they turn off within 5 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, and longer. I'm at a loss on this one. I've tried searching the forums, and google for that matter, but don't see anything like this. Anyone have any input or idea where to start? All other controls in the car work fine, windows, hvac, radio, everything. Thank you all.

Also, after further research, could the footwell module have caused this???

Side note, I did list the car for sale locally since I just don't drive it anymore right now, so maybe she is a bit pissed off at me???
I would check your battery voltage. I have had this happen when a battery cell dies. To answer your question, the footwell module can get water in it and do all sorts of weird things. If you can, pull codes to see if there is something in the footwell module.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:01 PM
mpoo83
1st Gear
I thought it was battery voltage, but doesnt look like it...had it on a charger and same issue..bought a new battery, and same issue. I ended up sending out the control module for repair just in case...cant sell a car that is all whacky...haha

The following users liked this post:
gresh (09-07-2020)
Old 01-06-2021, 06:11 PM
douglass enriquez
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mpoo83
I thought it was battery voltage, but doesnt look like it...had it on a charger and same issue..bought a new battery, and same issue. I ended up sending out the control module for repair just in case...cant sell a car that is all whacky...haha
Did that happen to fix your problem? And did they happen to tell you what exactly it was that went wrong in the control module?

Old 01-06-2021, 06:35 PM
mpoo83
1st Gear
Well I sent it out for repair. The place told me the module was bad, but could not be fixed. A person that was interested in buying it called the "local" mini dealer and found out that module was under some kind of extended 10 year warranty and he let me know. I called that dealer and they confirmed it, so had it towed and they fixed it for free. They never did tell me what caused the failure though.

The following users liked this post:
douglass enriquez (01-08-2021)