R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Valve stem seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 03:47 PM
yeticat99
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ctweber
Great, supposed to pretension chain to .6 nm, that’s a super low value, I don’t have access to a wrench that low
Same here. I went finger tight with the pretensioner plus ~1/8th turn with the wrench. Timing tools fell right back into place after torquing sprocket bolts, installing tensioner, and rotating the engine a couple of turns.

Made me nervous, but I couldn't justify the $$$ for a torque wrench I'd probably never use again...

Old 09-14-2020, 04:41 PM
ctweber
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ended up putting in the tensioner and torquing it down. The alternative linked instructions don’t use the tensioner tool.

I couldn’t even find a torque wrench that went below 10 in pounds at Snap On.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:11 PM
mildensteve
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
I hate saying this but by torquing it ALL the way down before tightening the cam gear / VANOS bolts all the spring adjustment in the tensioner is gone. By using the tool and just going finger tight plus a smidge (sorry not on the torque wrench settings) before locking the cam gear / VANOS down it allows the tensioner spring to do its job, keeping tension in the chain as the VANOS varies the cam position, everything wears, and the chain "stretches". I predict early chain/guide failure. I recommend getting new bolts and resetting the timing correctly. Please somebody chime in and say I am wrong.

Last edited by mildensteve; 09-17-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:26 AM
heticor
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Ctweber , could you please report if you finish the repair and if it was successful to eliminate the smoke.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:42 AM
ctweber
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, finished. Smoking gone!
Thanks to all who helped!

Old 11-08-2020, 01:36 PM
JSchroe212
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve stem seal replacement

I just successfully replaced the valve stem seals on my 2009 JCW using the same tool as CtWeber, a leak down tester, and a helper. Everything went as planned. It was good advice to start on cylinder 2 or 3, thank you to who recommended that.

Also, this method of installing the valve keepers with a small flat head screwdriver and some grease was helpful.
. We tried with a magnet at first and it wasn't cooperating for us.

I still need to put it together but hopefully, the stoplight smoke is gone.

Old 11-08-2020, 01:50 PM
JSchroe212
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I forgot, the cross-bar on the tool I received was a little too long. it was hitting the engine lift bracket on one side, and an intake pipe on the other. We decided to take off 2 inches from the bar.

Here it is mounted to the cylinder head using the bearing cap holes. The lever is in the back there. I used paper towels to plugs up the spark plug holes and a few other holes that made me nervous.

Old 02-19-2022, 04:49 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mildensteve
Oh and use the "stuff a rope into the cylinder" method to keep the valves up.
Hey everyone. So I'm about to do this job as well, and came across this thread. Thanks for all of the information provided by everyone here, by the way. I did have a quick, possibly dumb question about the 'rope method' in this particular instance. As I've always understood it (on simpler cam-in-block applications) you stuff the chamber with rope btdc and then rotate and compress the rope against the valves before releasing the collets. Is this the same process you guys are using here, i.e. removing the crank lock tool, rotating as needed to do each cylinder, then re-positioning and re-locking the crank before reassembly? Or are you able to do this by just stuffing enough rope into each cylinder, without rotating/compressing it? Thanks for the clarification, and again for the information.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:07 PM
mildensteve
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Kalibdor
Hey everyone. So I'm about to do this job as well, and came across this thread. Thanks for all of the information provided by everyone here, by the way. I did have a quick, possibly dumb question about the 'rope method' in this particular instance. As I've always understood it (on simpler cam-in-block applications) you stuff the chamber with rope btdc and then rotate and compress the rope against the valves before releasing the collets. Is this the same process you guys are using here, i.e. removing the crank lock tool, rotating as needed to do each cylinder, then re-positioning and re-locking the crank before reassembly? Or are you able to do this by just stuffing enough rope into each cylinder, without rotating/compressing it? Thanks for the clarification, and again for the information.
You got it right. Stuff the rope in the cylinder and then rotate towards that piston TDC till it won't go any more.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:13 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mildensteve
You got it right.
Copy that, thanks for confirming.