R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Yellow Lift Symbol, Can't even get to ignition stage.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 06:32 AM
TheMini10
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Lift Symbol, Can't even get to ignition stage.

I have a 2010 MINI Cooper. Few days ago the car drove to the shops fine, but after coming back to it I couldn't start it. The yellow lift sign with no other lights came on in the rev counter, however the start button was illuminated when it shouldn't be. The ignition wouldn't go past the first stage(Just inserting the key in). After fiddling around I somehow managed to start it, no idea how or why.

So I'm now at home with a decent scan tool. I managed to start the car again, but only if I reset the CAS or ELV counter. This allows me to put the car into the second ignition state and start the car and it works fine after that. However as soon as I remove the key, the yellow lift signs pops up again and I'm at the beginning again where I can't get the car past the first ignition state and have to reset either the CAS or ELV counter in order to start the car again.

I believe this is something to do with the steering lock. As I have the code "A115 Electric Steering Lock Line Fault", and as mentioned as long as the key is kept in the ignition after CAS/ELV reset it works fine. But as soon as I remove the key, after few seconds the yellow lift signs pops up again. I presume this is when the car tries to engage the steering lock and fails, which I can confirm the steering lock isn't engaged. I thought this might be a safety feature in case the steering lock fails, but why on earth wouldn't it go off after I insert an authorized key?

I thought this was due to a bad battery as it still had the original battery in it and had few problems. Replaced it with the same new battery today and reprogrammed it, and still the problem persists.
I've tried CAS resynchronization and ELV counter reset, to no avail. I'm confused as to why the car wouldn't show the steering lock fault symbol on the rev counter like I see on youtube videos when searching for A115 fix.

Anybody have any idea what this could be and how to fix it? Even just a suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:37 PM
gresh
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMini10
I have a 2010 MINI Cooper. Few days ago the car drove to the shops fine, but after coming back to it I couldn't start it. The yellow lift sign with no other lights came on in the rev counter, however the start button was illuminated when it shouldn't be. The ignition wouldn't go past the first stage(Just inserting the key in). After fiddling around I somehow managed to start it, no idea how or why.

So I'm now at home with a decent scan tool. I managed to start the car again, but only if I reset the CAS or ELV counter. This allows me to put the car into the second ignition state and start the car and it works fine after that. However as soon as I remove the key, the yellow lift signs pops up again and I'm at the beginning again where I can't get the car past the first ignition state and have to reset either the CAS or ELV counter in order to start the car again.

I believe this is something to do with the steering lock. As I have the code "A115 Electric Steering Lock Line Fault", and as mentioned as long as the key is kept in the ignition after CAS/ELV reset it works fine. But as soon as I remove the key, after few seconds the yellow lift signs pops up again. I presume this is when the car tries to engage the steering lock and fails, which I can confirm the steering lock isn't engaged. I thought this might be a safety feature in case the steering lock fails, but why on earth wouldn't it go off after I insert an authorized key?

I thought this was due to a bad battery as it still had the original battery in it and had few problems. Replaced it with the same new battery today and reprogrammed it, and still the problem persists.
I've tried CAS resynchronization and ELV counter reset, to no avail. I'm confused as to why the car wouldn't show the steering lock fault symbol on the rev counter like I see on youtube videos when searching for A115 fix.

Anybody have any idea what this could be and how to fix it? Even just a suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Did the shop replace any modules? Sounds like the imob module has been reprogrammed. The car thinks a module has been replaced. You should do a full reprogram of all modules from ecu to see if that helps.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:43 AM
TheMini10
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, just wanted to let anybody in the future with similar problem that the fault was within the actual steering lock unit itself. Ended up replacing it with a used one and it's working alright now.