R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Broken Ground Wire during Valve Cover Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 03:02 PM
dvacc20
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Ground Wire during Valve Cover Install

Hi All,

I was replacing my valve cover today and realized the last time I replaced the gasket, I accidentally overtorqued the valve bolt that connects to the ground wire. Upon removing the bolt associated with the ground wire, the circular “ground” section ripped off. See pictures below for the aftermath.

This mess is 100% on me and my amateur mechanic mishap, but how much trouble am I in here? I didn’t start the car and don’t plan too until I can safely ground the coil pack wiring.

Any help is so much appreciated. Thanks all.

Where the circular coil pack ground wire portion ripped off.

Where the circular coil pack ground wire section goes in between.

Nut that closes down over the circular coil pack ground wire section.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:30 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
Same thing happened when I removed the nut with a cordless screwdriver. Luckily the wire was long enough to be crimped, sleeved and re-attached. Started up fine afterwards and didn't throw a code (I had not disconnected the battery before I started working on the valve cover).

Make sure that the wire ends are properly crimped and use a crimp tool for that, not regular pliers!

Old 09-16-2020, 05:41 PM
dvacc20
Neutral
Originally Posted by giorgos
Same thing happened when I removed the nut with a cordless screwdriver. Luckily the wire was long enough to be crimped, sleeved and re-attached. Started up fine afterwards and didn't throw a code (I had not disconnected the battery before I started working on the valve cover).

Make sure that the wire ends are properly crimped and use a crimp tool for that, not regular pliers!
Thanks giorgos! The picture below is what I have on hand! Any first time crimping advice besides disconnecting the battery? I should be okay because it’s a ground wire, but I feel like I should still disconnect it - thanks a ton for your help.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:21 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
I used F-crimp type pliers for non-insulated connections (e.g.: sample pliers) along with heat-shrink tubing. Barrel type crimps such as yours are less sturdy, the electrical connection is (usually) worse and, most importantly, cannot be visually inspected after being crimped.

Disconnecting the battery shouldn't be needed (I didn't), but it's no harm either.

Old 08-12-2022, 03:56 PM
sindee1995
Neutral
Help same problem

Originally Posted by giorgos

what size and kind of ring terminal did you use. Please help. I want to get the right ring terminal size and what gauge is the negative wire. Doing this myself