R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Retrofit Sport Button and NCSExpert (cant read/write DSC)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020 | 04:57 AM
bluescreen
|
1st Gear
Retrofit Sport Button and NCSExpert (cant read/write DSC)

The title is a little mixed.

I am trying to retrofit sport button on a mcs r56 2009. I installed the sport button, wired it to fuse box, went to ncsexpert, added the option to the vo, and processed car to ad it to all the modules. The cable i am using is an ebay dcan with switch. All the modules are coded until it reaches DSC where it stops with that error in error.log

[14:22:17.521] [2020-09-19] [SERIE] 2060 PABD/CABD A_E65DC.IPS StartDiagnose 208
[14:22:17.521] [2020-09-19] [SERIE] Codierung fehlerhaft (allgemein) DSC_56, DIAGNOSE_MODE: ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SEQUEN CE_ERROR

[14:22:17.639] [2020-09-19] [SERIE] 2060 Error COAPI2.CPP coapiRunCabd 6
[14:22:17.639] [2020-09-19] [SERIE] Codierung fehlerhaft (allgemein) CODIERDATEN_LESEN

I tried to read all the modules separately, I can read everything except DSC and SZL.

The sport button came to life. When i press it, it lits, and sport appears on the rev. Is it ok, or it has to be coded and to the dsc and szl?

How can i read the two modules with ncs expert? Please help, i dont know if it is safe to drive that way!!

Old 09-19-2020 | 07:52 AM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Hey there - the title makes total sense to me!

I was the guy who did the original sport button retrofit. I can confirm that coding the DSC or SZL modules is not necessary. After 12 years, I still have the exact same problem of not being able to access the DSC for coding. Even my ISTA+ installation won't talk to it. It's puzzling, but fortunately I've never to needed to change any DSC coding, so I haven't worried about it. Interestingly, I can use TOOL32 to talk to it using low-level functions, so it's not like there is no communications at all.

Your SZL (steering wheel switch module) comms problem is a bit odd though - haven't seen that before.

ETA: just ignore the errors, your retrofit is done - motor on!

Old 09-19-2020 | 01:13 PM
bluescreen
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Chernobyl
Hey there - the title makes total sense to me!

I was the guy who did the original sport button retrofit. I can confirm that coding the DSC or SZL modules is not necessary. After 12 years, I still have the exact same problem of not being able to access the DSC for coding. Even my ISTA+ installation won't talk to it. It's puzzling, but fortunately I've never to needed to change any DSC coding, so I haven't worried about it. Interestingly, I can use TOOL32 to talk to it using low-level functions, so it's not like there is no communications at all.

Your SZL (steering wheel switch module) comms problem is a bit odd though - haven't seen that before.

ETA: just ignore the errors, your retrofit is done - motor on!
Firstly, thank you for your sharing of knowledge! With your post I started trying to retrofit the sport button. Thank you for answering. I updated the date with the latest 67 and I was able to reset(?) the szl along with all the other modules one by one except the dsc. That led to an sunroof green error but with sunroof calibration it disappeared.

How will I know that I am OK with the sport button? If the coding succeeded will $4UF appear on the vo the next time I read it? Cause I think it does not. Also does the car for the reset need an external power supply? I didn't use any and I think it was fast enough to not need it. If it needs one, it the EINHELL CC-BC4M appropriate or it needs a different type of charger?
Also, I did the retrofit to disable ac schnitzer ecu and tune the ecu with two maps, choosing with the sport button. Is there a distinct difference driving the car with and without sport mode? I didn't drive the car yet. Parked, the steering didn't feel different. Reading what sport does I expected the change that city button did on fiats.

Finaly, the car has the MEV17_2N. Is there a version of inpa(maybe 5.0.2?) that works correctly with that ecu in English?

Thank you again!

Old 09-19-2020 | 07:34 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bluescreen
How will I know that I am OK with the sport button?
Three telltale signs: you will see "SPORT" show up in the the tach display for a few seconds after pressing the button, the accelerator will be noticeably more more responsive while driving, and the steering will feel heavier. If you have an auto transmission (I don't) it will also change your shift points.

If the coding succeeded will $4UF appear on the vo the next time I read it? Cause I think it does not.
Unless you have manually changed your FA/VO and written it to CAS and FRM modules using the FA_WRITE function, the $4UF option will not show up. What are the exact steps you followed?

Also does the car for the reset need an external power supply? I didn't use any and I think it was fast enough to not need it. If it needs one, it the EINHELL CC-BC4M appropriate or it needs a different type of charger?
For simple coding changes, it is not necessary to use an external power supply. You're only going to have the ignition on for a few minutes to make the changes using NCS Expert. As long as your battery is in decent shape and has a good charge, turning off the headlights, radio, and heater/AC while coding is just fine.

Note: this is NOT the same for programming modules (i.e. updating firmware using ISTA/P or WinKFP). Programming can take half an hour or more so a charger is a MUST in that case.

The charger you mentioned would not be sufficient for programming. You need to have an intelligent power supply/charger that is capable of supplying at least 25 amps or so (MINI claims much more) continuously at the correct voltage. I've been using a Mean Well PB-360 charger/power supply. It is reasonably priced and has served me well for 7 years.

Also, I did the retrofit to disable ac schnitzer ecu and tune the ecu with two maps, choosing with the sport button. Is there a distinct difference driving the car with and without sport mode? I didn't drive the car yet. Parked, the steering didn't feel different. Reading what sport does I expected the change that city button did on fiats.
I definitely notice a difference while driving, but I don't think you'll notice the steering difference at rest.

Finaly, the car has the MEV17_2N. Is there a version of inpa(maybe 5.0.2?) that works correctly with that ecu in English?
If there is (and I suspect English files do exist), as near as I can tell they were never released into the wild. And I've been looking for years. To be honest, I stick with ISTA+ (ISTA/D specifically) now for troubleshooting. It very comprehensive and is the same tool that the dealership uses. You can read and activate all the same sensors in the DME (and other modules) just like INPA.

Old 09-19-2020 | 09:15 PM
bluescreen
|
1st Gear

Unless you have manually changed your FA/VO and written it to CAS and FRM modules using the FA_WRITE function, the $4UF option will not show up. What are the exact steps you followed?

I pressed start, choose chassis, choose Cas, edited vo, added $4uf, went back, changed job to sg codieren(...), checked the .man was OK, deleted the FSW_PSW.TRC, and process car and code car. After it stopped at dsc, I updated the daten and did the same only I processed the ecus one by one leaving dsc last

EDIT: This time i think i did it right. I edited vo, added $4uf went back, and fa_write to cas and frm. Then i sg_codieren blank .man to each module. Now when i read vo, the option appears.

offtopic: Is it normal that the szl module has only two lines?
MFL
aktiv
OP_WIPO_RLS
wert_04

Last edited by bluescreen; 09-19-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2020 | 09:28 AM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
EDIT: This time i think i did it right. I edited vo, added $4uf went back, and fa_write to cas and frm. Then i sg_codieren blank .man to each module. Now when i read vo, the option appears.
Yup - that's the correct procedure. You're done!

For others who stumble across this thread here's a good guide for changing the FA/VO: http://nutsofamily.com/wp-content/up...-CHANGE-VO.pdf

offtopic: Is it normal that the szl module has only two lines?
Yes, mine looks similar with only two settings. Just not much to configure in this module. This is not really surprising: it's a pretty simple module that gathers the various inputs from the steering wheel (turn signals, radio and cruise control buttons, steering wheel angle, horn, airbag, etc.) and then puts them onto to the various CAN buses (F-CAN, PT-CAN, K-Bus). Here's a much more detailed description straight from MINI/BMW: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...-check/XrWGfOr

Old 09-22-2020 | 01:23 AM
bluescreen
|
1st Gear
Yup - that's the correct procedure. You're done!

For others who stumble across this thread here's a good guide for changing the FA/VO: http://nutsofamily.com/wp-content/up...-CHANGE-VO.pdf

Yes, mine looks similar with only two settings. Just not much to configure in this module. This is not really surprising: it's a pretty simple module that gathers the various inputs from the steering wheel (turn signals, radio and cruise control buttons, steering wheel angle, horn, airbag, etc.) and then puts them onto to the various CAN buses (F-CAN, PT-CAN, K-Bus). Here's a much more detailed description straight from MINI/BMW: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...-check/XrWGfOr
To close the thread with an another off topic, have you used the protool from bimmergeeks? It has a salty price but it promises more coding than carly and diagnosis like inpa.

Old 09-22-2020 | 05:48 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
To close the thread with an another off topic, have you used the protool from bimmergeeks? It has a salty price but it promises more coding than carly and diagnosis like inpa.
Nope. I do have have an OBDLink MX+, but mainly use it on my other vehicles. I have tried Carly and Bimmer-tool, but I really just don't see the point of paying 75 bucks for an app (to enable coding), when NCS Expert works just fine and gives you complete control over every single setting.

For the MINI, I have installations of ISTA/D and ISTA/P installed on a Surface Pro 3 tablet. This makes an awesome touchscreen diagnostic solution for reading errors and programming along with full access to all repair and troubleshooting procedures, wiring diagrams, functional diagrams, etc.

Old 09-23-2020 | 01:05 AM
bluescreen
|
1st Gear
Nope. I do have have an OBDLink MX+, but mainly use it on my other vehicles. I have tried Carly and Bimmer-tool, but I really just don't see the point of paying 75 bucks for an app (to enable coding), when NCS Expert works just fine and gives you complete control over every single setting.

For the MINI, I have installations of ISTA/D and ISTA/P installed on a Surface Pro 3 tablet. This makes an awesome touchscreen diagnostic solution for reading errors and programming along with full access to all repair and troubleshooting procedures, wiring diagrams, functional diagrams, etc.
thank you, dont inpa need power to run? The specs of the surface?