R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 No start issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 07:53 AM
A94cobra
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No start issues

So I have an R56. Been trying to fix various issues for a bit now. I replaced plugs and coils due to misfire issue. Was also throwing 2880 code for fuel pump. Most days it would run fine. Other would run rough then be fine. I replaced the HPFP. I did that during all my plug misfire issues. Not sure what really caused all the problems.

Had it all running good. But sometimes in the mornings it would run rough till it warmed up. Then it would run fine all day. So I proceeded to change the fuel filter thinking maybe it was the problem. It needed it. 130k not the first owner. Now it doesn't run at all. LPFP wasn't running. So I changed the relay out in the SPEG. LPFP now runs when your cranking over. Fuel was slow at coming out of the line to the HPFP so I changed the LPFP. Fuel will come out of the hose up front that goes to the HPFP. Won't start. Plugs showed no fuel. Coils getting power. I disconnected the high pressure line out of the HPFP. No fuel. Did this thing go bad already? I also put on my old HPFP that mostly worked but sometime ran bad. Nothing here either. Shouldn't you get something out of either pump even if bad and not high enough pressure to start?

Old 05-11-2021, 03:26 AM
Vanski
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Hi A94cobra,

Check the inlet and outlet for plugged line on the HPFP. Sometimes debris could have gotten in there mysteriously when you changed out the fuel filter. It could be just a bad coincidence that your HPFP could have failed unexpectedly since it is intake cam driven. Because you're not getting any fuel coming out of the outlet line, there's no sense of checking the pressure on the fuel rail. I assume you did not do any valve job by removing its head?

Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 AM
A94cobra
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info. That problem turns out it was the blasted o-ring in the fuel filter. It kept moving when I was installing it. Now that is solved.

But now it still runs like the hpfp is being a problem. I got one rebuilt from the guy in Canada. Seemed to work at first. Anybody ever use this guy with good results. I found him on FB.

The car is just sitting because it is such a pain.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:02 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 1,468 Posts
There have been many issues with rebuilt or "cheap" high pressure pumps, where they will work for a short period of time, then crap out. My suggestion, would be to use an OBD monitor to verify fuel rail pressure, first with key on, then when starting and running. My guess, based on what you've shared, is the HPFP is your issue.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:35 AM
Jakomcbean
1st Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like your last mile is the HPFP not working as expected now. I would imagine the rebuilt pump isn't up to snuff. I am not sure how reliable that guys rebuilds are although he's been in Facebook for awhile now. If you want to try it yourself you can go look up Mr2tempos onyoutube. He explains exactly what happens to these pumps and what you can do to try and rebuild them. You will need to enable translation on the CC but you will get 90 % of what he is saying. I have an old pump I might give it a go on just so I have a backup. If I only had some extra time now. Good luck!