R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hi Guys! New r56 upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 09:58 AM
jdods
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CachacoMCS
Excellent. Well add the JCW aero kit to budget, it redefines the car! I think I will soon match the purchase price in mods...lol
I got a deal on the car, so will surpass the purchase price within the year most likely. That’s why I bought the car though, instead of blowing my whole wad on something newer.

Do you have a link? Can I get the parts prepainted to match or will that be an additional cost? On my precious builds I only ever found painted kits off parts cars (lol)

Old 01-07-2021, 11:09 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Since LED bulbs draw less current, they will throw a "bulb out" warning. You can code it out. I would try that before returning them.

The following users liked this post:
jdods (01-08-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 01:54 PM
CachacoMCS
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jdods
I got a deal on the car, so will surpass the purchase price within the year most likely. That’s why I bought the car though, instead of blowing my whole wad on something newer.

Do you have a link? Can I get the parts prepainted to match or will that be an additional cost? On my precious builds I only ever found painted kits off parts cars (lol)
https://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/...WORKS-AERO-KIT

I think you need to double check which kit fits your 2009 which I would guess is pre-LCI. Check ECS or other vendors. I think they come primed but not painted.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:59 AM
troyegly
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Since LED bulbs draw less current, they will throw a "bulb out" warning. You can code it out. I would try that before returning them.
My recommendation is to purchase ICARLY for IOS or Android and the desired adapter and you can code this out very easily. I did this about one month ago. Also ZIZA bulbs work just fine, no codes. I just replaced the rear brake lights from Amazon and just coded.

"Okay got it. Seeing a lot of people get gains from lower engine bushing and intakes. Are you seeing any issues with the transmission after these improvements? hard shifts, etc"
^^ I cannot say or stress it enough of how much of a difference a new lower mount can/will make. I did quite a bit of repairs on our JCW recently and noticed the lower mount was toast! I replaced with $30.00 part and also purchased Powerflex bushings. The car drives amazing! For about the last few years new set of struts were on the wish list, actually coil overs to be specific. Previously over bumps or even small holes the entire car would shift and it was Extreme rough, definitely dangerous if it caught you off guard.

Big results for a such a small mod, probably the biggest bang for the buck for us. Your results may vary depending on how shot yours is but you will be glad you did. No transmission issues at all, you should not be "too" concerned with this mod it is very straight forward.
I recommend Powerflex yellows.

As Nik said if you can change your oil you can change the mount.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:56 AM
jdods
1st Gear
Originally Posted by troyegly
My recommendation is to purchase ICARLY for IOS or Android and the desired adapter and you can code this out very easily. I did this about one month ago. Also ZIZA bulbs work just fine, no codes. I just replaced the rear brake lights from Amazon and just coded.

"Okay got it. Seeing a lot of people get gains from lower engine bushing and intakes. Are you seeing any issues with the transmission after these improvements? hard shifts, etc"
^^ I cannot say or stress it enough of how much of a difference a new lower mount can/will make. I did quite a bit of repairs on our JCW recently and noticed the lower mount was toast! I replaced with $30.00 part and also purchased Powerflex bushings. The car drives amazing! For about the last few years new set of struts were on the wish list, actually coil overs to be specific. Previously over bumps or even small holes the entire car would shift and it was Extreme rough, definitely dangerous if it caught you off guard.

Big results for a such a small mod, probably the biggest bang for the buck for us. Your results may vary depending on how shot yours is but you will be glad you did. No transmission issues at all, you should not be "too" concerned with this mod it is very straight forward.
I recommend Powerflex yellows.

As Nik said if you can change your oil you can change the mount.
Do you have a link to the bulbs? I have some flickering that is barely noticeable but not the start I want with my mods. Willing to return and get something that will fit without a flicker and either no codes, or something I can code out easily.

I learned the hard way its best to start with small changes and ramp up before you really change the way the car drives / feels.

Mines an automatic... will that make a difference on the mount I go with? Read some other threads that have had mixed feedback about vibration and which mount is best.

Link https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-anyone-2.html

Old 01-08-2021, 10:57 AM
jdods
1st Gear
"I think you need to double check which kit fits your 2009 which I would guess is pre-LCI. Check ECS or other vendors. I think they come primed but not painted"

$1000 for the kit and I should expect about the same in paint and labor?

Old 01-08-2021, 01:47 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Some full kits comes primed and some used to be painted. We sold out all the painted pretty much they are all gone. if you dont see a part on our site its nla.

All we have left is the kits we made ourselves using oem parts, as MINI nla their one part number kits. On the arches they used to have primed versions and textured factory version, some of those front and rear trims are nla all together and some of the primed wheel arches are nla also. Most people get the oem arches, sand them down and prime them to paint to get the full painted bidy look or the two tone with the gloss painted look wheel arches and trims.

This cost a bit of money thats whey when you see them done its usually some guy from japan or Europe. In japan its very popular to spend a bunch on money on your MINI with a aero parts so they usually paint alot of the stuff. MINI cost more also in Japan and in Asia. Considered exotics in some areas. Thats where you will see some cool MNI pictures on the internet.

2009 MINI Cooper S : https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2009-...Exterior/Body/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-13-2021, 10:28 PM
CachacoMCS
2nd Gear
The following users liked this post:
jdods (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:31 AM
jdods
1st Gear
Here’s how she sits today

been pricing out the blackout trim pieces and it might honestly cost the same to get them professionally wrapped in high quality material.

I got the motor mount done and wow what a difference!! Did front rotors brakes lines and high quality pads and the combined difference is amazing.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:50 PM
CachacoMCS
2nd Gear
Looking good! Car is begging for stripes, new wheels, black trim and a discrete drop (I have Eibach springs). What is that splitter you have?

Any progress on finding JCW aero kit?

How much do they charge you for the wrap?

Old 01-14-2021, 04:08 PM
jdods
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CachacoMCS
Looking good! Car is begging for stripes, new wheels, black trim and a discrete drop (I have Eibach springs). What is that splitter you have?

Any progress on finding JCW aero kit?

How much do they charge you for the wrap?
thank you!!

not sure about stripes definitely blacking out the trim.

But looking at getting some OWM R112s but have questions about putting 17s on when I have 16s

did you replace just the springs to lower or did you also do struts?

Old 01-14-2021, 04:52 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
thank you!!

But looking at getting some OWM R112s but have questions about putting 17s on when I have 16s

should be no issues swapping from a 16 to a 17 if they are stock rims. 205/45/17 is the stock size for tire, you can do a 215/45.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:55 PM
CachacoMCS
2nd Gear
thank you!!

I did Eibach and Koni Yellows (adjustable, currently on medium setting). I thought about coilovers but I'm not a fan of the slammed look and ride. If you go Ohlins or equivalent I'm sure they are amazing but $$$.

What is the issue with the 112 17s? They came stock in mine because original owner ordered them. I think they also clear the BBK in case you ever go that way. I have the Michelin Pilot Super Sports 205/45/17. I'd like to go 215 but for some reason I stopped the research. Maybe it was lack of options or rubbing.