R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Repair sunshade

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 08:07 AM
aque26 aque26
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repair sunshade

Hello, good afternoon. I have recently been looking for a way to repair sunroof blinds. Inside the forum I found a quite feasible solution, but its explanation is somewhat complex. Attached images and explanation from another user

1. The fabric is just glued on the flexible metal rail (metallic color). I would first pull the sun shade all the way to the open position. You do not need to remove the glass for this fix.

2. Lift-up the fabric and expose the underside of the fabric. You need to see the brownish side.

3. Starting from the pull side of the shade get one BBQ stick and put a dab of gorilla glue on the tip and apply small amount of the glue on the brown side. Do not put too much glue! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Do it one inch at a time and take your time and do not rush it. The last thing you need is to put glue on the black guide rail itself and you will have a permanent shade in place.

4. Now when you have an inch of fabric with glue use another clean BBQ stick to maneuver the fabric back into the guide. Then use the stick to stretch the fabric. It should not be hard to put back the fabric and stretch it at the same time. The glue will set in within 10 seconds so you need to be quick on this next step.

5. Grab one of the credit card and insert it between the fabric and guide rail. When you insert the credit card make sure to drag it on the fabric so that it will pull-in the fabric towards the inside of the guide and this will press the fabric to the metal guide.

6. Count 5 seconds then you need to move the fabric shade with the credit card still in place (hold the card a little when you move the fabric and make sure the card also moves with the fabric). Move it back and forth 8-10 times so that the glue on the rail will set in and any glue that you accidentally placed on the guide rail will dry up and will not stick to the fabric.

7. Leave the first credit card in place then do #2 to #6 again. Upon placing the second credit card remove the first one and move the shade as per item #6.

8. The end part will be the tricky part but still doable. Just take your time and it will be glued-in and do not forget to move the shade.

Someone could explain it to me in a simpler way so that I can do it myself. Also, if anyone knows a better way or has an explanatory video, I would appreciate it. I have a 2009 Mini Cooper R56

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (03-20-2021)