R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Where is this valve cover vacuum coming from? Confusion post.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 07:43 AM
omuroff
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Where is this valve cover vacuum coming from? Confusion post.

Please see the final post of mine

Hello all,

I have a European version N16B16A engine Mini One 98hp (non-S). I am lost in lots of information.

I have some soot marks on the exhaust tip. So, maybe burnt oil? Ok, people say if the PCV membrane is ripped, the engine starts to burn oil.

When I take apart the PCV cover, to me it seems like, the membrane has a preload on the spring, resisting the vacuum underneath it, pushing it against the cap. Also, the PCV cover plastic cap has a small opening hole to air on top of it. So, how does the membrane act when it sees high/low pressure under it, releases it to or sucks it from the atmosphere? Where does that vacuum under the oil cap come from? A ripped membrane will pull air from the tiny hole, from the engine bay, isn't it? Why does it result in rough idling and burning oil?

Ok, I deleted most of my dilemmas on this post.

I had thought that I knew how a PCV system works but I am lost within the N16 engine's logic. Can someone please explain how this thing works, please?

Thank you,

Ömur

Last edited by omuroff; 09-29-2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Car naming corrected.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:27 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm afraid I can't help you with your questions. Nevertheless, and fwiw:

My Mini with the N16 engine (122hp) only once burned a measurable amount of oil, being driven at an average (!) speed of ~110 mph over a distance of 250 miles (including several instances of hard braking for slower traffic and hard acceleration after overtaking).

This was more than three years ago. Since then, I haven't driven it hard and there has been no noticable oil consumption, even when the oil change interval once reached almost 9k miles. Yet there have always been soot marks on the exhaust tip. Also, Mini engines have more possible causes for oil consumption besides the vacuum valve in the cover.

OT: Is your Mini indeed a "Cooper One"? I haven't come across one either in reality or in documentation. I only know of "Mini One" (98hp) or "Mini Cooper" (120 or 122hp).

Old 09-29-2021, 08:41 AM
omuroff
1st Gear
Hey! All right, I will clean the tip properly and check if they come back. Thanks for the tip. And yes, it is "Mini One", I corrected it thanks to you.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:40 AM
omuroff
1st Gear
By the way, the way S and non-S membranes are designed is different. But I suspect that they fit into each other's place but do not function right. So it might be a good idea to verify that your car has the right part.

This ad helps to understand things:
Valve Cover Photos

All right, read this post : PCV Diaphragm System Logic Now I understand!

Last edited by omuroff; 09-29-2021 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Addition