R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil on Airbox cover from PCV

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 06:32 PM
WoolyMammoth
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil on Airbox cover from PCV

What's up guys, I have some questions, and wanna hear your input.

So my 2009 JCW (N14) is blowing oil from the PCV (Timing chain side) onto the airbox cover and the intake manifold( piston 1 intake). I just rebuilt the whole engine about 2k mi ago, and now I'm running CP Rods and Pistons, an S42 Turbo, Catless DP, I had a valve job done and replaced all the valve stem seals, brand new valve cover and gasket. That's the stuff that's important. For the 1st 500mi I drove the car easy, maybe hitting 5 to 7psi max on trips. Changed the oil out at 500. I'm running Liquimoly 5-30. And I noticed it then. Around this time I started having some unsteady idling on startup. (Figured maybe the car was just trying to get used to all the new stuff I added without a tune). Fast forward to 1200mi and I finally decided I was ready to RPM stage 3 that bad boy. The tune is phenomenal.l, and Mario was great to work with. I was still having some rough starts, but it never stalled on me and would even out about 30 seconds in. Anyways decided to order a new HPFP and fuel filter. I replaced those today. Car starts better but there's still some roughness in the begging.

When I replaced the plugs with the colder ones for the tune, I noticed some oil buildup on top of the pistons. Which surprised me since there was only 1200mi at that point. And my valves were black again. So she was eating some oil, but I know these cars do that. Not a big deal. However, I decided I would clean the airbox up and see if I'd see backsplatter from that PCV valve again after going for a drive. It was there again and I hit my 23psi during that drive. Decided I would completely replace that PCV hose that runs from the Valve cover to the Airbox( thought maybe the little o ring was just old and haggard, and was letting it leak on by). So the new one goes on, and same thing. It's still spraying the airbox cover.

I'm not sure what it is that's causing this. The vacuum pump is in solid shape as well, -25 on decel and about -15 at idle. My rings were all brand new from CP and I've gapped them accordingly. And the car doesn't seem down on power in the slightest, so I don't think it's the rings failing, but I figured I'd give it a shot and see if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks dudes.

to the right of the Red Forge Hose on the airbox is where its hitting.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:42 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
The PCV valve is in the cam cover. Was the cam cover replaced in the rebuild? It’s possible that the PCV diaphragm has failed.

Also, the vacuum pump has nothing to do with manifold vacuum… The vacuum pump only feeds to the brake booster and turbo wastegate actuator.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:47 AM
WoolyMammoth
Neutral
Originally Posted by njaremka
The PCV valve is in the cam cover. Was the cam cover replaced in the rebuild? It’s possible that the PCV diaphragm has failed.

Also, the vacuum pump has nothing to do with manifold vacuum… The vacuum pump only feeds to the brake booster and turbo wastegate actuator.
yeah the valve cover was replaced when everything else was. I suppose it's possible they sent me one that was messed up from the beginning, but I didn't think it was that likely.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:23 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
My next suggestion would be to clean it up really good, and keep an eye on it to see if you can find where its coming from.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:26 AM
WoolyMammoth
Neutral
Originally Posted by njaremka
My next suggestion would be to clean it up really good, and keep an eye on it to see if you can find where its coming from.
well so I know where it's coming from. It's escaping out of the PCV on the timing chain side of the valve cover. What I'm wondering is why that's happening, is there too much pressure in the crankcase or something?