R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 N14 Bare Block features vs. N12

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 05:35 AM
ARD_Engineering
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N14 Bare Block features vs. N12

Hey All! Happy New Year!
So I have a Mini with the N14 engine that I'm currently setting up for SCCA racing, and I'm looking to buy a duplicate N14 engine but just the bare block (no internals) to help me more easily develop some new engine accessories (cooling system parts, oil system parts, and currently working with a company to develop a custom starter). Unfortunately, there seems to be real lack of N14 blocks right now, both in my local area (Mass.) and on ebay. So this got me thinking about maybe substituting a N12 engine instead. At first I was just thinking that because the main difference is the whole turbo vs non-turbo thing, that most of the differences would lie in the head (different manifolds, different VANOS system, etc.). But then I found this post that says that the N12 block is missing the "piston oil cooling jets" that the N14 block has:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n12-block.html
Can anyone else clarify that this feature is actually located in the block, and not just in the N12 head? Because "cooling jets" sound like something that would be built into the head geometry. And if so, do you know if this is the only feature actually located in the block that is different. Again, I want to state that my interest in the block is mostly for having a reference piece to take measurements from and test fitment of parts that will be developed and mounted externally to the engine, not necessarily to do a complete engine build and have it running (although this would be a bonus if I ever decide to do this later down the line).
For reference, this is one of the ebay listings I am considering getting if everything checks out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-JUL-20...75.c4#viTabs_0
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Old 01-09-2022, 12:06 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
That linked post might be referring to the Oil Spraying Nozzle, item 7 in the attached realoem N14 pic. I can't remember how these nozzles are connected to produce oil flow --- maybe they can be added to the N12? Or, maybe these oil passages aren't cast in the N12 block? Or, the N12 passages are plugged? Do a little research on realoem.

You could probably get away with building a DD without these nozzles, but I wouldn't try it for a track car.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:54 PM
ARD_Engineering
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Well at least that clears up one mystery. Realoem is great for some things, but unfortunately for this case all it says is "yes, the two blocks have different part numbers". Which is not that useful because of course BMW could apply different part numbers to the same block casting used for the two purposes. Do you (or anyone else) know if the outside features are at least the same? (location of water pump, inlets and outlet for water and oil, started location, etc.) Comparing the pictures of the N12 to my existing N14, these features seem the same. This is what I really care about, but trying to make sure before making a $700 purchase that might not work for me. (Also thinking of 3D scanning the block to have a master CAD file for reference.)