R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Valve spring compressor tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 12:50 AM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve spring compressor tool

Hey guys, I'm about to do a valve stem seal replacment on my r56 (112k miles) hoping it will solve my oil burning issue, it's putting out alot of smoke at op temp. I just wanted to kno if any body has used the hammer type valve spring tool as opposed to the lever type that I always see on youtube videos, I haven't seen any one use the hammer/ tap type one so I'm just wondering if thier is some sort of compatability problem with using these on minis.

Last edited by Triple blaq mini; 01-14-2022 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:18 PM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
Lol lmao of course my dumb *** should know by now that you can't find good info on forums unless you want to dig through a bunch of unfinished threads or side tracked info idk why I even bother posting any thing. These places are useless sitting waiting around for an answer, i freaking hate forums, thanks for nothing

Old 01-15-2022, 04:26 AM
Lees08MiniS
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple blaq mini
Hey guys, I'm about to do a valve stem seal replacment on my r56 (112k miles) hoping it will solve my oil burning issue, it's putting out alot of smoke at op temp. I just wanted to kno if any body has used the hammer type valve spring tool as opposed to the lever type that I always see on youtube videos, I haven't seen any one use the hammer/ tap type one so I'm just wondering if thier is some sort of compatability problem with using these on minis.

The hammer tool works great removing the keepers but I couldn’t figure it out to reinstall. I don’t believe it has a small enough part to reinstall them. I had the head off so I used a regular spring compressor to reinstall.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:51 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple blaq mini
Lol lmao of course my dumb *** should know by now that you can't find good info on forums unless you want to dig through a bunch of unfinished threads or side tracked info idk why I even bother posting any thing. These places are useless sitting waiting around for an answer, i freaking hate forums, thanks for nothing
I don’t know what you expected to hear after barely one day of waiting….

Those hammer style tools are not good at installing the keepers. They work OK for removing, but can also cause the keepers to fly off and get lost. Not something I would want to do with the head still one the car… I remember a thread a while ago where someone used a lever style spring tool with the head installed. Seemed like it worked pretty good, but took a little bit of a learning curve to get set up.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:02 PM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
I don’t know what you expected to hear after barely one day of waiting….

Those hammer style tools are not good at installing the keepers. They work OK for removing, but can also cause the keepers to fly off and get lost. Not something I would want to do with the head still one the car… I remember a thread a while ago where someone used a lever style spring tool with the head installed. Seemed like it worked pretty good, but took a little bit of a learning curve to get set up.
Thanks for the info this is literally all the info I needed because I didn't want to have the engine opened up to find that the tool isn't compatible, and wait on the right tool to be shipped. now that I have others experiance I can plan ahead and get the right tool, sorry for the trash talking but I've tried many other mini forums, in the past I've used honda and jaguar forums and more often than not I get no reply or pple just stop chiming in so I have had bad experiance over time.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:08 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Bunch of info here. Sorry i did not see this sooner.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-19-2022, 05:19 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Bunch of info here. Sorry i did not see this sooner.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html
That's the thread I was thinking of....

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (01-19-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 07:22 AM
heticor
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I did this job, see here thread and the tools that I used.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...l-replace.html

Last edited by heticor; 01-21-2022 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:39 AM
Triple blaq mini
1st Gear
Thanks guys for taking time to post I think I got all I need to do the job now with the exception of a fitting to replace the spark plug to put compressed are in the cylinder I was thinking of going to home depot and finding a pipe with the same thread size as the spark plugs on the mini and put male compressor fitting on it hopefully they have the thread size I need other wise I don't know where to get some thing like that I see people on YouTube using a hacked up spark plug welded to a compressor fitting but I don't don't own a welder to do that.