R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2008 R56 Sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 01:57 PM
Motodad61
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R56 Sunroof issues

New to the Minis, just bought my daughter a low miles 2008 Mini S with some cool bolt ones. One thing we didn't check when we were looking at it is the sunroof, it has the dual front and back. When we got home we finally had a few min to play around with some things like the lights and such. Got to the sunroof and it wouldn't open. It's trying to go up, actually both (front and back) are trying but won't go. I used a little pressure to the middle/aft of the front one to try and help it up, it did help a little but it's only going up about 1/4"?? maybe... Contacted the seller and he said he's actually never use it. And i'm apt to believing him since he did have like 3 Porshes in the garage and and another dozen in "the warehouse" lol.. Was pretty impressive.. but long story lol.

I did google it, found a few youtube video's but nothing specific to my problem. I'm thinking I could help pry it open while hitting the open button but i'm afraid i might make it worse or it's going to be stuck in the open button.

The car is a 2008 Mini Cooper S with 79k miles on it. Hope someone can shed some light or point me in the right direction. (sorry if someone has already posted the same issue, wasn't having much luck with the search option)

The following users liked this post:
David MacNeill (02-21-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 12:11 AM
alfageek
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey there,
I have a 2009. In my experience the sunroof in these cars gets sticky and does not work if not used regularly. My guess is that that is your issue. Happens to me if after a month or so. I suggest you find someplace where you can have the car safe with an open sunroof before you play with it much, just in case, but I usually have no real issues. First try sitting in the car and operating the sunroof while you press up gently at the rear of the front roof. Usually I can get it to raise up. It may take a few times. If that doesn't seem to be working have someone sit in that back seat and push up on the rear of the rear roof as well. They go up together. At that point they usually move up together as they should. If the roof goes up, let go of the switch at the top. put it down and repeat to exercise it up and down for a few times until it operates freely. In the next step the front roof moves back and the rear roof drops back down. If you hold the switch and it won't move back, put you hand back up on the rear of the front roof and push it back using gentle pressure and the friction of your fingers on the glass. Again, it may take awhile and some repeats until the glass keeps going back on it's own. I do suggest that, after it starts moving back, you stop it after a few inches and repeat the exercise until it seems free. If you run it all the way back before it gets more freed up it may stick back. You do not want it stuck open as it is harder to grab it and help it forward from inside the car, though an outside assistant can gently push it forward fro outside the car. Go slow and be careful. You can twist some alignments if you start bullying it and that can be a tough fix. This has always worked for me. You may want to look in the tracks once you get it open. You may need to clean some gunk out of them with the milage and lack of use you seem to have.
Good luck!
Dave

David MacNeill (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 01:22 AM
David MacNeill
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
My 2007 R56 presented the same issues. I tried everything including pulling out the glass, cleaning everything, and lubing every contact point, all to no avail. It’s still in the shop awaiting a whole new assembly which will cost me $3000 installed. My beautiful low-mile $5000 car is now an $8000 car. If I may paraphrase Gandalf, confusticate and bebother these Germans!

I hate BMW’s stupid Panoramic Sunroof. I hate the damn thing and the damn fools who designed it.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:49 AM
tbmguy
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the same issue of not opening when it is hot outside and it sits in the sun, I have removed the glass and cleaned everything I can and lubricated it with the recommended grease.

when it is cooler outside it works fine when it is hot I gently push the rear of the forward glass and it opens fine.

When closing and its hot I tap the toggle switch repeatedly and it closes but works fine when it is cool outside

I know this has been an issue with the black roof in the sun and it can be a little inconvenient but once I got used to doing it I don't mind.

Old 02-25-2022, 12:18 PM
David MacNeill
2nd Gear
Well I got my MINI Cooper back from the shop, now with a brand new sunroof assembly and motor, a new windshield and mounting rubber, new engine cowlings, and a new antenna mount. $5400! I’m still in shock, but it had to be done. The vast majority was for the damn sunroof parts which are insanely overpriced MINI/BMW parts — what a racket these people run.

But Eurosports here in Boise did a fantastic job on everything and cleaned out the sunroof drain tubes for free. I highly recommend them for anyone in southwestern Idaho. Other shops around here don’t really seem interested in our beloved marque. The mechanic drives a 2008 S, so he’s my new best friend!

Old 02-27-2022, 01:37 PM
schovil69
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow! There comes a time when the cost of repair compared to the value of the car determines the repair is not justified. Then there's people who drive MINI's.

I would have sold you my 2008 MCS for $5400.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:04 PM
David MacNeill
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schovil69
Wow! There comes a time when the cost of repair compared to the value of the car determines the repair is not justified. Then there's people who drive MINI's.

Yeah, I bought this car unwisely. But once I had it, I decided to return it (and myself) to its former glory, whatever the cost. Since I am disabled and unable to do my own work beyond basic maintenance, out comes the card to fatten my mechanic’s kid’s college fund. C'est la vie.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:39 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
You most likely need a new cassette and motor and it will cost you 4-5k to get it done. If you do not want to spend that money leave it alone. Mine was replaced by the dealer as they ****ed up the maintenance of the rails and it seized while they are cleaning it up. It was working perfectly fine when I brought it in for a routine sunroof lubrication service and was told they stripped the lub out then sonehow the technician forgot about it and closed it and it locked up and shredded the gears of the motor and did something on the rails. They have to replace the motor and cassette and that was the cost. You need to use the sunroof at least once a month open and close it multiple times if you will get it fixed.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:44 PM
David MacNeill
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schovil69

Oh and I meant to thank you for reminding me what a sentimental fool I am.

Last edited by David MacNeill; 02-28-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:11 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by David MacNeill
Yeah, I bought this car unwisely. But once I had it, I decided to return it (and myself) to its former glory, whatever the cost. Since I am disabled and unable to do my own work beyond basic maintenance, out comes the card to fatten my mechanic’s kid’s college fund. C'est la vie.
You are not alone. When I bought my mini for $6k years back in 3 weeks I spend $9k bringing the car back to pristine condition. When I brought it to the service center I told them to do a Certification Inspection and give me the list of what needs to be done and it was a long list. I just said get it done and I need it in 4 days and was told not to do it and just trade in the car and buy a new one. I told them a new car will cost me $30k and it will never have the looks and feel of a R56. For $9k I will get like a brand new vehicle that I know will last me at least 10 years as long as I keep the maintenance like a R56 junkie. As I recall the stuff that was done to the vehicle are: lots of oil leaks fixed, 2 wheel bearings, all rotors and pads, drained all liquids, new plugs and coils, new radiator, AC clean and charge, tranny oil drained + filter replacement, new windshield, new clock spring, motor mounts replaced, PCV housing replacement, sway bar bushing replaced, O2 sensors replaced (top and bottom), cabin + engine filter replaced, new xenon bulbs, serpentine belt. Then after all the repair I brought the car to my favorite european body shop and asked them to remove the dents repaint the vehicle like brand new then ask them to replace all the chrome belt trim. Then went to search for a R85 wheels got it powder coated then slapped some vinyl decals on the car and I have a ovepriced used vehicle.

Last edited by Shotgun_banjo; 02-27-2022 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:31 AM
David MacNeill
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Shotgun_banjo
You are not alone. When I bought my mini for $6k years back in 3 weeks I spend $9k bringing the car back to pristine condition. When I brought it to the service center I told them to do a Certification Inspection and give me the list of what needs to be done and it was a long list. I just said get it done and I need it in 4 days and was told not to do it and just trade in the car and buy a new one. I told them a new car will cost me $30k and it will never have the looks and feel of a R56. For $9k I will get like a brand new vehicle that I know will last me at least 10 years as long as I keep the maintenance like a R56 junkie. As I recall the stuff that was done to the vehicle are: lots of oil leaks fixed, 2 wheel bearings, all rotors and pads, drained all liquids, new plugs and coils, new radiator, AC clean and charge, tranny oil drained + filter replacement, new windshield, new clock spring, motor mounts replaced, PCV housing replacement, sway bar bushing replaced, O2 sensors replaced (top and bottom), cabin + engine filter replaced, new xenon bulbs, serpentine belt. Then after all the repair I brought the car to my favorite european body shop and asked them to remove the dents repaint the vehicle like brand new then ask them to replace all the chrome belt trim. Then went to search for a R85 wheels got it powder coated then slapped some vinyl decals on the car and I have a ovepriced used vehicle.
MINIs do not comply with rational cost/benefit calculations. They have so much personality and are so much fun to be around that we personify them and this makes us want to restore them — it just feels wrong to throw one away because it costs a bit of cash to bring them back to their former glory.

And let’s not forget that the real culprit here is MINI/BMW for so egregiously gouging us for the parts we need. This is a shortsighted, bald-faced cash-grab. Don’t they realize that more MINIs on the road means more marque visibility and more new MINI sales?

Old 03-01-2022, 10:03 AM
schovil69
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by David MacNeill
Oh and I meant to thank you for reminding me what a sentimental fool I am.
hahaha...I'm in the same category. Bought Charlie and put thousands into him just to get him to run and act right.

David MacNeill (03-01-2022)