R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can't reset my front brake sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 01:06 PM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Can't reset my front brake sensor

2011 Mini cooper S.
I did a front brake job. I finally opened everything up and replaced the front sensor. However, my front brake light still comes on. I can't reset it from the Dash. I have a Foxwell so I did a quick erase on my codes. Rescanned, and it still says the front brake sensor is "present" but it still gives a fault. I have pulled the connector off, looked down in it (looks fine) and re-seated the connector. Still no love. I have put the key in and started the car to reset- no love. I have put the key on, waited 30 seconds and still no difference.

This has been a nightmare. Why? This is a brand new brake pad wear sensor.

Last edited by mini-is-for-me; 03-12-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:24 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Have you tried checking continuity of the sensor wire? I believe it's just a loop of wire and when the end gets worn off it breaks the circuit and will read as an open circuit. That's the only idea I have.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:07 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mini-is-for-me
I can't reset it from the Dash. I have a Foxwell so I did a quick erase on my codes.
Is erasing the code the only way you tried?

IIRC, a brake check light can come on for either:
- the "expected" remaining mileage of the brake pads exceeding a calculated threshold
- the brake pad sensor touching the disc

If the former is the case, the car needs to be told that the pads have been changed. This is done similarly to i.e. resetting the engine oil replacement indicator using the BC button:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart..._Explained.htm

(The article wrongfully refers to a "two-stage brake pad sensor" but AFAIK, there is only a one-stage brake pad sensor (i.e. either on or off) and the calculated, remaining mileage indication. Nevertheless, the procedure to reset the latter is explained)

Old 03-13-2022, 08:54 AM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
How do I tell the car that the calculated threshold is wrong---I changed the pads. When I tab into service, then tab to the front brake and hold the button down nothing happens. No reset. It did say -140. I drove it yesterday hoping the light would go out and the computer needs some miles of continuity but no love. It now says -160.

Now I do have service on my brake fluid as well but I am going to change my real brakes next and then change the fluid at the same time.

The rear brakes show that are due for service in 1500 miles.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:02 AM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
Have you tried checking continuity of the sensor wire? I believe it's just a loop of wire and when the end gets worn off it breaks the circuit and will read as an open circuit. That's the only idea I have.
It is the only thing I can think of.

What I am worried about is when I watched the videos on this, everyone else is able to actually and easily pull the "car female" part of the connector a good 2-3 inches to easily disconnect and hold both halves. However, mine seems to have no spare cable. I could barely reach the back of the tab to disconnect it. Also the whole thing was cable tied there. It makes me suspect that some previous person screwed that connector up somehow. Maybe they discovered if they zip tied it a certain way, it worked so they jury rigged it. I don't see exactly how to get access to the rest of that cable and worry I will have to take the engine out just to get to it. If I could get better access to it, I could try some electrical tests. Since the new sensor is new, I sincerely doubt it won't be continuous. I give that a .00001% chance.

Does anyone know where the rest of that brake sensor cable connector goes of if there is another easy access point to get it down a few feet to do tests on it?

Old 03-13-2022, 10:29 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Did you open the link I posted and read through the instructions?

Note:
It may still be the case that there is a contact somewhere. But without setting the pad exchange you will not know.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:06 AM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Originally Posted by giorgos
Did you open the link I posted and read through the instructions?

Note:
It may still be the case that there is a contact somewhere. But without setting the pad exchange you will not know.
Yes, I have tried that procedure. If I had the trip meter down on the Front Brakes, after 10 seconds it goes back to the brake fluid. However, nothing resets, the Front Brakes still show up.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:20 PM
giorgos
4th Gear
Assuming there is no contact/mechanical issue and you followed the above instructions by the letter, try this:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3378615

(Reading the entire thread is recommended)

The following 2 users liked this post by giorgos:
chrunck (03-13-2022), mini-is-for-me (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 01:44 PM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Assuming there is no contact/mechanical issue and you followed the above instructions by the letter, try this:

Wow...you must be kidding me. That is a very convoluted way to get to the service menu. HOWEVER, it is different and for the first time, it DID give me the option to reset the front brakes and it seems to have reset the light. I'm holding my fingers crossed and I'll let you know if it holds. However, thanks! You may have saved me hours of pulling the wheel and the mud shield only to see everything testing fine....

The following 2 users liked this post by mini-is-for-me:
chrunck (03-13-2022), ECSTuning (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 10:54 AM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear

Ok yeah, this has apparently worked. I can't believe it. It literally is just a slightly different way to get to the exact same display that wouldn't work....
I reset the sensor and I have driven 30+ miles and started the car 4 or 5 times and the brake sensor light hasn't come back.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:35 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you do this procedure?

Originally Posted by mini-is-for-me
2011 Mini cooper S.
I did a front brake job. I finally opened everything up and replaced the front sensor. However, my front brake light still comes on. I can't reset it from the Dash. I have a Foxwell so I did a quick erase on my codes. Rescanned, and it still says the front brake sensor is "present" but it still gives a fault. I have pulled the connector off, looked down in it (looks fine) and re-seated the connector. Still no love. I have put the key in and started the car to reset- no love. I have put the key on, waited 30 seconds and still no difference.

This has been a nightmare. Why? This is a brand new brake pad wear sensor.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:08 AM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
I doubt this is fixed. Eventhough I reset the lights and the dash is clear -- I just ran the foxwell and it give me a code:
5E5C/Not Present. DSC Brake Pad Wear Indicator.