R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 S throwing weird codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 01:23 AM
augisbud
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 S throwing weird codes

Hello everyone, I have recently had my chain replaced on my R56 S N14.

TL;DR
The car is throwing codes: 002B4E; 002B4A; 002BD2; 002848; 00302E. The ecu was repaired since the car was unable to start after a chain replacement. Previously there was more than 10 active issues, one of which was the EWS system.

Long story:
A mechanic has replaced the timing chain, after replacing it he has started the car, it only took a minute for the car to shut off and throw about 10 active issues including EWS and other various unrelated issues. Firstly we carried out a STARTER INTERLOCK RESET through BMW ISTA - no luck. Then the ECU was sent to a local shop for repair. They replaced a part labelled: 30529 0846 LIMS548.1 909F02. To my knowledge it's an IC chip. After replacing it the car was able to start and drive, however it's in Limp mode. Upon connecting diagnostic tools it throws the following codes: 002B4E; 002B4A; 002BD2; 002848; 00302E. The first two are associated with the accelerator pedal module/accelerator sensor signal, the third one is about surveillance supply voltage 1 driver CY320 (which neither of us really understand what it means), the fourth one is about the fuel pressure sensor, last one is about zero gear sensor signal.

My question:
I'm looking for someone who encountered similar issues or potential ideas on how to solve it? Should the ECU be replaced or repaired once more? I wouldn't usually bother and just replace the ECU since I wasn't the one that blew it, but here in Eastern Europe(Poland, Lithuania, Latvia) we don't really have similar ECUs that match the part number. There is plenty of ECUs for diesel models and non S models. The ECU part number: DME7587548.

The car is an European model. It has the N14 engine, which was produced in 2009-01, currently has about 128 000 miles.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:50 PM
302Vernon
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got a 2010 R56 S myself in Feb. Had 78k miles a on it, so very young car. Within a few weeks, the Timing Chain went bad. So, the repair was very expensive. I ended up getting the tools and repair kit from ECS Tuning and did it myself with the help of YouTube. I also went ahead and replaced the water pump, KN air filter and intercooler. Same as you, started great the 1st time and ran on a shirt teat ride. Then it failed to start for about 5 weeks and many codes. I also felt it was ECU or CAS related and sent them both out to be checked and or repaired. But came back working properly. Then I changed the starter, and still wouldn't start. Then after another week, I tried it again and it turned over, but made crazy noises. I put the old starter back in and wham, turned over and running great. However, still have codes for the MAF sensor and the highbeams won't work. I replaced the MAF and put the original air box back in and that code won't clear. Not sure about the high beams yet. This car is just crazy.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:10 PM
302Vernon
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 302Vernon
I just got a 2010 R56 S myself in Feb. Had 78k miles a on it, so very young car. Within a few weeks, the Timing Chain went bad. So, the repair was very expensive. I ended up getting the tools and repair kit from ECS Tuning and did it myself with the help of YouTube. I also went ahead and replaced the water pump, KN air filter and intercooler. Same as you, started great the 1st time and ran on a shirt teat ride. Then it failed to start for about 5 weeks and many codes. I also felt it was ECU or CAS related and sent them both out to be checked and or repaired. But came back working properly. Then I changed the starter, and still wouldn't start. Then after another week, I tried it again and it turned over, but made crazy noises. I put the old starter back in and wham, turned over and running great. However, still have codes for the MAF sensor and the highbeams won't work. I replaced the MAF and put the original air box back in and that code won't clear. Not sure about the high beams yet. This car is just crazy.

new MAF sensor was bad, the original worked fine. The passenger side intercooler pipe came off and was causing the code. The footwell module was 'reset' by a mechanic and now, the high beams and interior lights are working fine. I bought Feb 5th and on May 17th, finally passed inspection at my DMV and got a 3 year tag. Couldn't be happier now. Until the next issue arises.