R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 Base Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 11:16 AM
NateEspinosa
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 Base Fuel Pump

Hey everyone,

I got the "half engine" light on the dash last night and the car started sputtering a bit. Quick google search is telling me it's the fuel pump. Has anyone dealt with this already? If so, do I need to buy an entire new module or can I just replace the actual pump inside the module with something like an Aeromotive 200 lph pump(see the link)?

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/200-fuel-pump/

Old 03-19-2022, 08:43 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by NateEspinosa
I got the "half engine" light on the dash last night and the car started sputtering a bit. Quick google search is telling me it's the fuel pump.
Assuming that you based your diagnosis on more than just searching for "Half engine light + sputtering" (hopefully only considering MINI R56 specific search results applicable to your engine type):
Would you mind sharing more info on e.g. error codes, tests, other symptoms, etc.?

The following users liked this post:
Vanski (07-24-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 09:48 AM
NateEspinosa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by giorgos
Assuming that you based your diagnosis on more than just searching for "Half engine light + sputtering" (hopefully only considering MINI R56 specific search results applicable to your engine type):
Would you mind sharing more info on e.g. error codes, tests, other symptoms, etc.?
Of course I didn’t test anything else before assuming that. Honestly, I have yet to dive into it and a few google searches on R56s led me to this based on others explaining their experience being nearly identical to mine but are there any tests I should run before putting the fuel module out? Maybe unplugging the line and running it?

Old 03-19-2022, 11:24 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm no technician but I'd think there are more than one possible causes for either sputtering or that engine light.

What I do know is that in at least one case (i.e. my own Mini with an N16 engine), rare, short sputtering may be the case without an error code being thrown, much less an engine light coming on (*).

Of course, one could start replacing parts in the hope that that will resolve an issue. Judging by the complexity of these cars, the variety of possible causes (fuel, ignition, air supply or any combination of these), the number of sensors and last but not least forum users' reports here, going that route is usually not the best way.

I'd start by having a BMW/MINI compatible scanner read out any codes and posting them here, along with a more detailed description of the symptoms (e.g. frequency, duration of the sputtering, ambient/internal conditions, whether it usually/only happens at certain times like after filling up the tank, etc.). There are several very well informed and experienced users here who may be able to help you with their MINI specific insight.

*: I suspect that the saturated/damaged activated charcoal filter element (for petrol fumes) has something to do with it.

Old 03-19-2022, 05:16 PM
Mark_SF
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the fuel pressure.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:54 PM
NateEspinosa
1st Gear
NOT FUEL PUMP - misfire cylinder 2 p0302

Pulled the plugs today and found this.

Changed the plug and coil, but should I be skeptical about starting it with the tip of the old spark plug missing? The plug was loose when I pulled it out too.

check out the coil

Old 03-30-2022, 03:15 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Yikes! I would throw a set of new plugs in there, and see what happens. Looks like possible the cam cover gasket started leaking on that plug hole...

Old 03-30-2022, 03:20 PM
NateEspinosa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Yikes! I would throw a set of new plugs in there, and see what happens. Looks like possible the cam cover gasket started leaking on that plug hole...
Order a full new set of plug and three more coils to be sure.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what may have caused it to get that dirty but the plug was so loose that I couldn't tell if my socket was actually on the plug. I might just change out that cam cover gasket to be safe and clean it all up. It's been filthy in there since I got the car but I've neglected that part. Changed plugs about 2 years ago.

The car does burn oil, I have to add a quart after about 3500-4000 miles. While I don't think that's the only cause, I wonder if that could be adding to the loss of oil.