R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Electrical Problem......HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 02:33 PM
Vanski
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Electrical Problem......HELP!!!

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to find an exact thread that would fit my problem but if there is, go ahead delete this thread and redirect me to a proper thread.
Anyhoo, I have an '07 MCS R-56 N14 and just yesterday both of my windows started acting weird but came out of it and worked normal til today. When I drove to the hardware store(5 miles from home), everything seem normal BUT when I got back into the car to head back home, all of sudden I have a serious issue with the electrical system. I have lost my:
1. tachometer not working
2. speedometer not working
3. blinker won't blink
4. door chime won't chime
5. steering wheel lock won't engage or disengage
6. both windows won't go down or up
7. fan blower not working
8. 4-way hazards won't work,
9. Radio won't turn on
10. Dome light won't come on
11. Pwr door locks won't auto lock when driving

I need HELP so badly. Are all of these systems connected to a single module? I checked all of the fuses both in the engine and inside at the passenger footwell, I also checked all three plugs that plugs into the DME at the engine compartment and saw two pins in the middle harness that sort of looked blackish. I checked the module in the footwell and noticed the two pins look corroded but cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner. I noticed there was some sort of drip on the foot module and it is not water, the drip is brown and it has hardened up, It looked syrupy

Btw, the engine starts up and runs beautifully and I was able to drive home. Any ideas as to what could be causing this electrical problem. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated

Many thanx

Old 04-04-2022, 06:35 PM
Vanski
3rd Gear
Looking at the Bentley publishing on my own with no response from any members here, I decided to take a gamble and ordered the foootwell module since it looks as if all of the items that I have described above all leads to the same place(footwell module.).I'll update the post on the verdict.

Old 04-08-2022, 04:55 AM
Vanski
3rd Gear
Problem solved!!! I received a used body control FRM module from E-bay and slapped it in and VOILA, all of my issues have disappeared…… all of accessories and dash lights all came back on and fixed whatever that was draining my battery.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:20 PM
302Vernon
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you replaced that Footwell, did you have to reprogram it? Or was it literally install and it worked? I might have to replace mine soon. My high beams aren't switching on at all. I had a window issue but that seemed to go away after resetting the window dip.

Old 05-02-2022, 03:52 AM
Vanski
3rd Gear
@302Vernon ,

When I replaced the FRM footwell module with the exact same part/serial number, 95% of all the problems listed above works except now my reverse and fog lights won't come on and it is determined that I need to bring my car to an import auto repair shop to have it coded. I thought I was golden by matching the same part # but that isn't so. I am guessing regardless what module you get even if the same part#, you will still have to get the module re-coded :-(