R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Leaking oil on Way Motor Works Tapless Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 07:34 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts
Leaking oil on Way Motor Works Tapless Adapter

I was seeing oil dripping down the Way Motor Works Tapless Adapter. The pressure sending unit was looking like the suspect so I took it all apart. The pressure sending unit which was purchased from Aeroforce for way too much $$ (the sensor) was indeed giggling around in its metal housing and oil was passing through the entire sensor after 3 years.

You can see its covered in oil.

You can see the oil dripped down the sensor onto the tapless adaptor. (the grey OEM oil pressure sensor is attached here, not the aftermarket unit)

ok fine so I took everything apart and resealed it. It seems that Way Motor Works used Teflon tape to seal all the black plugs. I'm not sure this is rated for high temps so I used RTV and let it sit overnight to cure.

So I don't think anything was leaking on Way Motor Works adapter but of course want to change the large o-ring that goes on the end of the tapless adapter. Way Motor Works told me to use a 5/8inch ID x 13/16inch OD x 3/32inch o-ring. Dont use that size. If you use that size and tighten it just gets smushed, deformed and squeezed out. Its too big . Here is what that looks like.

So I used a 7/16 x 5/8 x 3/32 which seems to seat in the little recessed area at the bottom of the threads.

I installed and removed it and looks like it will work.

In retrospect I should have just used a copper o-ring like the original grey pressure sensor uses and which you can see at the end of the tapless adapter.